Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

How to create USB floppy drive that works!

Hi all,

My updated mobo is a very new Asus H87-Pro. It has no provision for a floppy drive. I'm left with the choice of purchasing an outboard USB floppy drive (without knowing if it will work or not), or building a USB floppy.

All my attempts at building a USB floppy have failed. So far I've used the following utilities:

- BootDisk2BootStick
    - Novicorp WinToFlash
    - Bootable USB Drive Creator
    - Rufus
    - HP USB BOOT TOOL

The H87-Pro has a new kind of BIOS called UEFI in which you can manually shuffle the device boot order, such as bringing the USB boot device to the head of the boot que. I've been through the rest of the BIOS over and over but I've not yet seen a positive result from the USB floppies I've spawned. My system always boots straight to Windows XP/SP3.

Can anyone throw any light on what I'm missing?

Thanks!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nzo View Post
    My updated mobo is a very new Asus H87-Pro. It has no provision for a floppy drive. I'm left with the choice of purchasing an outboard USB floppy drive (without knowing if it will work or not), or building a USB floppy.

My system always boots straight to Windows XP/SP3.

Can anyone throw any light on what I'm missing?
    nzo,
    Hello.... I have a "coupla" thoughts...

1. How are you powering the floppy.. external ,or through the USB port ...Ports can generally only supply about 500ma of power.

2. If the power from the USB is not an issue...might be not being "Powered up " in time to be seen. Just a thought ...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi Fred,
    I have a spare PC with a working floppy drive and have been attempting to create a working USB (floppy) stick in various ways, using the USB floppy utilities I listed above.

I then bring the USB "Floppy" over to a USB port on the PC with the new mobo and attempt to have it boot to DOS Win98/ME which I've installed on the USB Floppy.

There is no other floppy drive than on the spare PC above.

When I boot the new mobo, the boot process bypasses the USB Floppy even though I've set up the BIOS to go to it.

That's about where my DOS know-how ceases.
    Half frog, half man, but which half?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

When I boot the new mobo, the boot process bypasses the USB Floppy even though I've set up the BIOS to go to it.

That's about where my DOS know-how ceases.
    nzo,
    Hello.... While were working on this ...i think i have a possible "Work Around"

1. Partition your XP disk , as a Primary Partition... and use the "Floppy" to place the OS of choice on it

2. Use this Free Program to manage the new OS EasyBCD see screenshot ...make sure that you click "Save or Add Entry" after settings...give it a shot ..i quad boot with XP in the mix also Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi Fred,
    I had already created a primary partition on the SATA drive. As an aside, to successfully do so I had to slipstream XP SP1, 2 and 3 together on a CD. Only SP2 or 3 have the necessary drivers/files to be able to install XP under the new motherboard. On its own XP SP1 consistently hangs during the install.

So my XP SP3 is installed and working. I don't necessarily want to install another, or an alternative OS on that system. Rather I want to be able to use a number of handy DOS utilites to access or repair the system when I need to. Hence the need for the USB Boot Floppy.

I've now installed EasyBCD and it's asking me for the Windows Vista/7 bootloader which I do not have. Neither do I have either of these as OS install CDs. EasyBCD won't work in XP-only environments. I looked but could find no downloadable bootloaders on the net.

Thanks mate.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,
    I had already created a primary partition on the SATA drive. As an aside, to successfully do so I had to slipstream XP SP1, 2 and 3 together on a CD. Only SP2 or 3 have the necessary drivers/files to be able to install XP under the new motherboard. On its own XP SP1 consistently hangs during the install.

So my XP SP3 is installed and working. I don't necessarily want to install another, or an alternative OS on that system. Rather I want to be able to use a number of handy DOS utilites to access or repair the system when I need to. Hence the need for the USB Boot Floppy.

I've now installed EasyBCD and it's asking me for the Windows Vista/7 bootloader which I do not have. Neither do I have either of these as OS install CDs. EasyBCD won't work in XP-only environments. I looked but could find no downloadable bootloaders on the net.
    nzo,

Hello....
    1. As far as the "SP-1 hangs " install on SATA could be that there are no XP-SP-1 SATA drivers present.

2.I don't understand ( forgive me I'm as dense as a locust post) why you would need a "Boot Floppy" just to copy Files \ folders \ utilities off it ?

3. The EasyBCD reference was to allow you to dual boot ... with Win98\ME.. Never tried it without Vista and or "7" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    I'm sorry Fred - i think we may have reached a point where we both don't understand each other's questions I do appreciate your effort to help. Thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One can replace the XP bootloader with the Vista bootloader and then EasyBCD works, but, I'm not understanding exactly what you're trying to do either. If its to get Win98/ME running on a very modern system, that's what virtual machine software is for (VirtualBox and VMWare Player).

Thanks
    No, not trying to install Win98/ME! I was recently (with the new mobo) in the uncomfortable position of being able to do zilch to get my system ready to accept an OS. No matter what I tried I couldn't 'get in'. On previous systems I was able to mount a floppy and dig around until I found a way.

I also wanted to learn how to access my system using a USB drive to boot it. As I said above, I've tried many ways to do that and failed. Obviously I missed the secret jellybean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ahh, I don't have much experience there, I only made one USB boot drive for EaseUS ToDo Backup Workstation and all I did was tell the sofware where to put the files and it did ALL the rest. Works really well too, most of the time I don't even have to hit whatever key a system requires to bring up the boot device list; it just starts booting automatically!

Thanks
    No, not trying to install Win98/ME! I was recently (with the new mobo) in the uncomfortable position of being able to do zilch to get my system ready to accept an OS. No matter what I tried I couldn't 'get in'. On previous systems I was able to mount a floppy and dig around until I found a way.

I also wanted to learn how to access my system using a USB drive to boot it. As I said above, I've tried many ways to do that and failed. Obviously I missed the secret jellybean.
    NZO,

If this is your desired end result you can take a couple of avenues to a bootable USB Key.
    1. Let Windows create a repair disk on USB.
    2. Use a program like Macrium Reflect Free or Pro which will create a bootable USB key that provides an icon to get to the command prompt when booted.

With either of these you can get to the command prompt and FDisk/Format/Dir/etc. your way around your drives. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    NZO,

Here's pictures (I had to take these with a camera so sorry for the poor resolution, etc.) of how my USB Key boots up on my new Dell 8700 with UEFI & Secure Boot using GPT disks.
    On boot press F12 to get boot screen:
    DellUEFIBootScreen.jpg
    Select - UEFI: OTi Flash Disk 2.00
    Win8RecoveryDiskScreen1.jpg
    Select - Troubleshoot
    Win8RecoveryDiskScreen2.jpg
    Select - Advanced Options
    Win8RecoveryDiskScreen3.jpg
    Select - Command Prompt
    Now you're ready to slice and dice! HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I think you'ld be better off simply purchasing an external USB floppy drive. They cost less than $20.

It would probably work right out of the box.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The below referenced location will provide a tool that is both simple to use and has all the available boot front ends you may desire, when making a USB bootable drive. Don't be dismayed by the Linux name in the location. The dropdown on the tool itself will offer up all available front ends of a Windoze flavor as well. It is the best I have ever used. The tool immediately became invaluable and the price is...your gonna love it...free.

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Right, mrj!
    Both the price and "working out of the box".
    Been using one on both XP and WIN7 with no issues.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RAdu For This Useful Post:

DB2013 (2013-08-01),mrjimphelps (2013-08-01)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast