New Lounger
    Thanks

Toolbar (not Taskbar) Icons Keep Moving

I use Win7 Ultimate and for a long time have used the QAT together with the Taskbar. Recently the icons on the QAT began to move whenever the computer is booted or if I restart or re-login. For many months it never happened, but I recently installed SP2 for Office 2010. That seems to be when the toolbar behavior started. In fact, I even had to re-enable the QAT. And, Yes, it is the Quick Action Toolbar, not just one I created and gave that name.

Any ideas on how to keep the icons on the toolbar in one place?

Thanks for any help!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There is no Quick Action Toolbar in Windows. There's a Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) in recent versions of Microsoft Office, but that's at the top.

I think you're referring to a Quick Launch toolbar on the taskbar?

Do you log in to Windows with a password or automatically?

FIX: The Taskbar is reset to the default settings when you use the "Automatically Log On" feature in Windows 7 and in Windows Server 2008 R2

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce, You are correct; it is the Quick Launch toolbar. The Taskbar is not being reset. I don't auto login; I have to fill in my password, but maybe that is still an automatic login. Anyway, the Taskbar is stable, but the Quick Launch bar is the one that keeps moving the icons around. I had used it as a stable toolbar for over a year, but it started this new behavior when I updated Office 2010 to SP2. Until then it was fine.

Alan

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It could be an iconcache issue: QuickLaunch Icons Change on Restart

Bruce

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

molechaser (2013-07-31)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have finally fixed the problem. I finally saw that the QL bar on this computer was below the Task Bar (I have both bars full width and one above the other.) Previously the QL bar was on top. I have the computer at work set up with the QL on top and it has had no problems. I rearranged the QL and Task bars so the QL is on top and the problem has gone away. Strange, but true.

Thanks to Bruce R for working with me and attempting to help. I never tried the iconcache.db as the above got it working first.

Regards to all,
    Alan