Star Lounger
    Thanks

You Tube playback sticks part way thru video

You Tube playback sticks on my H-P laptop with factory Win 7 for the last couple of months. The player does not crash because mouse and everything else I can see is still working. It is as if the internet connection dies. No key strokes or mouse clicks that I can come up with resumes playback. If I reload the page, problem re-occurs at about same point in vid as the first time. If I run the free You Tube Downloader, everything works as expected. Only then can I see an entire video! My son has a new Thinkpad with clean install Win 7 and is having the same problem. He thinks it appeared after the latest Windows Update. Are we the only ones? The best searches of the Lounge I can do find nothing. Any ideas, guys?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Spafford For This Useful Post:

trofasteven (2013-09-24)

Thanks
    I've got a similar problem, Bob. My Dell laptop started out with Win XP and now uses Win 7 SP1. Our local library's computers are about 10 years old and use Win XP. These computers also have the same problem. Given these findings, I concluded that the problem is not with my laptop.

As I'm not familiar with the You Tube Downloader, please tell me how to run this. Look forward to hearing from you.

charles

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I too find this a problem, albeit intermittently.
    Tim (Win7 Home Premium)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You tube downloader works by downloading the flash file and then converting it to a format that can be saved and viewed later. Usually these are saved in WMV or AVI that Windows Media Player or the player of your choice can play. Once viewed, you must decide if you still want the file to reside on your PC. There are several programs that can do this besides You tube downloader.

Most choppy streaming video such as with you tube is due to slow internet connection or busy servers. You used to be able to pause the video and let it buffer, but flash player now restricts how much can be buffered and it is usually a waste of time to do this as the same issue will repeat when the video catches up to what was buffeered.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's the link http://youtubedownloader.com/ I think that I found a way to download it as a file (not using somebody's down loader which may carry computer cooties) You have to manually copy the URL you are at, open YTD, and it is pasted in the download box if you just mouse over it. I just download in native format (.flv) and play it in the free (and cootie free) VLC Player. You can leave a half dozen vids downloading without a hiccup. Ah! no pauses, play back at any speed, single step frames, etc.! Huzzah! Huzzah! for VLC!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was hoping for a tsunami of stuck viewers, but alas, not the case. Well, I'm about to try doing a clean install of Win7 and will report back here if the YouTube playback sticking problem goes away. Good luck to us all! In the meanwhile, I'll be manually using the YTD and VLC.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spafford View Post
    My advice: DO NOT DOWNLOAD the above. I did the "Advance" download, unchecking all suggested additions. But I ended up with Visualbee malware. Among other things, it takes over all popular browsers hijacking the homepage. And it's not easy to get rid of.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used to use Freemake video downloader (see below). There are many others.
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-08-26 at 18:15. Reason: Reflecting later Post comment by the author.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just installed the latest version of Freemake and now I can no longer recommend this program as it comes bundled with several programs for which even a custom install does not stop everything. Rather disappointe, but this seems to be the way things are going.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Same problem on a Dell Optiflex 745, Pentium D dual core @ 3.4 GHz & 3GB RAM running 64 bit Win 7. Was working fine until about a month ago then these freeze-ups as Bob Spafford describes. No problems with downloads though. I am using Waterfox (64 bit Firefox) with the Net Video Hunter extension.