Thanks

Angry Speccy HOSED my system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I WON'T be installing Speccy EVER AGAIN! 1st, it made my 6 core 3.8Ghz processor run like my first computer (Pentium 166). Looking in the Task Manager did not show excessive processor use or excessive memory use. Shut Speccy down and the system recovered fine, ran as it should.

Setting Speccy to show the CPU temp in the tray caused a BSOD. System rebooted. First thing I noticed was that Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 wouldn't run. Corrupted. Tried downloading their uninstall. Could NOT save the file. Got a directory/file corrupt message. Tried to do a System Restore (I'd created 1 before installing Speccy). No go. Drive had errors and could not restore. Could not repair drive. Had to do a FULL reset of Windows.

I thought CoreTemp was bad. At least the mess it caused was taken care of by uninstalling it. Speccy just corrupted the entire system. What a POS! I will NOT be recommending Speccy to ANYONE ever again.

Now I have the joy of reinstalling NUMEROUS programs. Thanks Piniform. NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    The first thing I have to ask is "Where did you download Speccy from?".

The great majority of users don't have any problems with Speccy, I suspect your hardware may contain something unusual or was incorrectly detected; this scenario is common to all similar software. None of them, that I'm aware of, correctly detect and run 100% on all possible hardware configurations.

Another scenario, perhaps more likely: KIS had restricted Speccy; it's not unusual for heuristic -based security software to 'sandbox' or otherwise restrict unusual or recently updated software without any User notification. If this happens, something is likely to break.

Thanks
    Odos,

I just tired it on my new Dell XPS 8700 and it seems to work just fine.
    Speecy Tray.JPG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    The first thing I have to ask is "Where did you download Speccy from?".

The great majority of users don't have any problems with Speccy, I suspect your hardware may contain something unusual or was incorrectly detected; this scenario is common to all similar software. None of them, that I'm aware of, correctly detect and run 100% on all possible hardware configurations.

Another scenario, perhaps more likely: KIS had restricted Speccy; it's not unusual for heuristic -based security software to 'sandbox' or otherwise restrict unusual or recently updated software without any User notification. If this happens, something is likely to break.
    I have no 'unusual' hardware. Also, Kaspersky dropped the "safe run" aka sandbox in the 2013 version. When I first started Speccy, it showed all info (motherboard, cpu, memory, hard drives, operating system, etc) correctly.

BTW, this isn't the 1st time Speccy hosed my system. It happened once before. Same issue, corrupted both Kaspersky and Windows. That time, it also hosed Mailwasher Pro. And I had to reset Windows rather than refresh.

Thinking that Speccy doesn't play well with Windows 8 64bit.
    Last edited by Odos270; 2013-07-27 at 18:53. Reason: to add: Downloaded from Piniform.

Thanks
    I prefer using AIDA64. It has a 30 trial period, after that you have to purchase it. I have it and highly recommend it and it works great with Windows 8.

http://www.aida64.com/

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Odos270 View Post
    Thinking that Speccy doesn't play well with Windows 8 64bit.
    No problems with mine. Have you checked your disk for errors?

Bruce

Thanks
    Interesting that both issues you've had with Speccy also involved Kaspersky. Sandboxing or not, if KIS's heuristics are restricting any program there will be some issues, with software that digs as deep as Speccy, any issues could be major.

I test most of the free AVs once or twice each year, I also test several pay AVs and suites'; a few months ago I tested KIS. Like many, it does not suit my computer usage/style and was awkward to control to my liking; updates frequently caused me time backtracking and changing settings because of the number of false positive issues and the way KIS handled them. For other users, KIS may be fine.

Thanks
    I have been using Speccy on our 2 laptops for several years through Win Vista, Win 7 and now Win 8 (both are 64 Bit OSes) with no problems at all. I have never installed KIS and have heard of others having problems similar to what satrow has experienced. Many have stated that KIS seems rather heavy handed and have chosen other apps in it's stead. I also have to believe that the problem might have ultimately been caused by KIS not allowing Speccy to do it's intended job properly, but YMMV!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Never A Problem With Speccy

Have run Speccy on two different computers using Win7 64 bit and Win8 Pro 64 bit. It worked well with Microsoft Essentials, Windows Defender, and MalwareBytes. Also installed it on several relatives and friends computers without any issues.

Rich

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    No problems with mine. Have you checked your disk for errors?

Bruce
    Windows and HDTune show the drive as fine.

Thanks
    Huh. I installed HWiNFO64 (64bit) and it runs fine. No problems.

Thanks
    Have you logged your problems with Piriform Support or their user forum?

EDIT: I see that you have.
    Last edited by satrow; 2013-07-31 at 21:53.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Speccy does not work on an HP 8200 Elite. As soon as it opens it "unexpectedly closes". I'll stick to HWinfo, thanks.
    Wherever you go, there you are.