Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Observations: Macrium Reflect w/Win8 UEFI Secure Boot w/GPT disks.

Hey Y'all,

Just thought I'd post some of my experiences getting my new computer (see signature below for specifics) setup for my image backups.

I'm using Macrium Reflect Pro but I'm sure it will be pretty much the same for the Free version.

If you see my posts on creating a single bootable USB HD drive to boot Macrium and store the images you'll know better what I'm talking about.

I first created a new USB Key to boot from the new machine (I created this on my existing machine since I wanted to backup the HD before running through the setup process) since trying to boot from my existing USB HD didn't work! The new USB key booted just fine as I selected the option to support Multi Boot UEFI/Secure boot when I created it.

That having worked I tried to refresh the boot partition on my USB HD with the updated software but received a message that the drive was unsuitable! Now what could be wrong? Well I thought I'm now using GPT disks so maybe it doesn't like the fact that the partition is NTFS. So I fired up EaseUS Partition Manager and reformatted the boot partition to Fat32 (just like the USB Key) and viola all is well in Imaging land once again.

Please note that both the USB Key and USB HD made from the Win 8 UEFI/Secure Boot/GPT disk setup will still boot on my old BIOS/NTFS Dual Boot Win 7/8 computer so there is no need to keep 2 versions floating around. I no longer have an XP rig but if anyone does and attempts this I'd be most interested in the results.

Hopefully, this will prevent future pain for some of you as you upgrade to new hardware. HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2013-07-28 at 12:57.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    I'm using Macrium Reflect Pro but I'm sure it will be pretty much the same for the Free version.
    Hi Geekster,
    For a detailed account of the Macrium Reflect versions see comparison I also use "Macrium Reflect Pro" almost exclusively ..Over Acronis True Image Home.... especially the later versions . Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-07-28 at 14:11.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You might have glossed over the formatting the boot partition to FAT32 a bit too quickly. What partition is that exactly and is there data on there and does that need special consideration?

Thanks
    F.U.N.,

It's the boot partition on my USB HD and the only thing there was the previous copy of Macrium w/Win PE. Did you read the link?

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I've been there many times;

That having worked I tried to refresh the boot partition on my USB HD with the updated software but received a message that the drive was unsuitable! Now what could be wrong? Well I thought I'm now using GPT disks so maybe it doesn't like the fact that the partition is NTFS. So I fired up EaseUS Partition Manager and reformatted the boot partition to Fat32 (just like the USB Key) and viola all is well in Imaging land once again.
    That paragraph confused me is all, I broke it into A,B,and C and automatically associated B with C instead of ignoring B (now using GPT disks so maybe it doesn't like NTFS) and only associating A and C. So the message that the drive was unsuitable was coming from Windows, not Macrium if I've got it now.

Thanks
    F.U.N.,

So the message that the drive was unsuitable was coming from Windows, not Macrium if I've got it now.
    Actually, the message was coming from Macrium trying to setup the Win/PE environment on the USB HD. Apparently, Macrium knows that if you're booting using UEFI & Secure boot you can't do it from an NTFS partition. {Although my Boot SSD shows the C: drive as Boot and NTFS in Disk Management} I'm not sure that is correct as I'm still learning all this new technology but that seems to be what Macrium is saying. That boot partition worked just fine under my old dual boot Win 7 HP/Win 8 Pro (non-UEFI/Secure Boot). I'm so confused I'm not surprised my explanations are confusing also. I'll keep trying to make things clearer in the future.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I'd have to fire up my laptop to be certain, but as I recall under UEFI/GPT in Disk Management the EFI partition (which must be FAT32) is recognized as System, and the Windows partition is recognized as Boot, even though it's NTFS.

Which actually makes sense, since the boot loader (Windows\System32\winload.efi) is located on that partition. The EFI partition mainly preps for boot and points to the location of winload.efi.

I use Image for Windows from TeraByte, and it works a bit differently. I normally run it from "the other side", in other words, when I'm making images of my Windows 8 partitions, I do it from Windows 7 and vice versa. But when I boot Image for DOS (creates the same image files as Image for Windows), it runs from its own OS, not a PE environment. It doesn't care what or where the target is. I store my image files on NAS, with an occasional duplicate image set on an internal HD.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Bruce,

Here's the EaseUS Partition Manager shot of my drives.
    EaseUS Disk Setup.JPG
    Disk 1 (GPT) is the 128GB SSD Boot/System drive.
    Disk 2 (GPT) is the 1 TB HD that came with the machine now setup for the Swap file and Data.
    Disk 7 (MBR) is the 1 TB USB HD with the E: Macrium (Win PE Boot) (FAT32) Partition.
    F: Macrium Images (NTFS) for of course storing the images.
    Still not sure why E: had to be Fat32 but Macrium would not write to it until I formated it that way from NTFS which it was more than happy to write to with my old machine w/o UEFI/GPT/Secure Boot!

I hope this makes things clear as MUD!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Still not sure why E: had to be Fat32 but Macrium would not write to it until I formated it that way from NTFS which it was more than happy to write to with my old machine w/o UEFI/GPT/Secure Boot!

Macrium must've checked on UEFI/drive type; it couldn't just assume UEFI/GPT because it had Win 8 installed?
    I actually knew if must have been Marcrium that gave the vague message second time around but wanted your confirmation of my incorrectness so I won't forget. With great vision and foresight, I formatted mine FAT32 from the get go...I could only find that it's an EFI boot requirement, not why, that NTFS might be ok with secure boot disabled , so that might be a clue, and that the USB drive partition size has to be less than 4 gigs.

...and here I thought the whole idea of modernization was to get beyond all the old legacy restrictions!!
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-07-29 at 02:48.

Thanks
    My NAS (3TB Seagate Goflex Home) has a Linux interface. I store both my desktop (BIOS/MBR) images and laptop (UEFI/GPT) images there using Image for Windows and/or Image for DOS.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I'd have to fire up my laptop to be certain, but as I recall under UEFI/GPT in Disk Management the EFI partition (which must be FAT32) is recognized as System, and the Windows partition is recognized as Boot, even though it's NTFS.
    I finally did fire up my laptop, and that is indeed the way Disk Management sees the partitions.

Unleash Windows