5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win 8 beeps when I plug in USB3 "card" reader -why?

I have recently acquired a new Win 8 computer for doing some photo editing while I am in the field away from my home base. I have a Lexar Professional USB3 Dual Slot Reader that is backward compatible with USB2. I have been running it on my Win 7 machine plugged into both USB2 and USB3 ports with no problems. When it is first plugged in to my Win 8 computer , the computer beeps and continues to emit beeps until the unit is unplugged. Placing a CF card in the reader does not stop the beeping. Lightroom is also able to read CF cards from the reader. The beeps are about 25 seconds apart and occur in groups of two beeps about 5 seconds apart.

I did manage to download and install a firmware update for the unit, but this had no affect on the beeping.

My question is why is it doing this and how do I stop it. I cannot see any "explanation" showing up on the screen. The computer is an MSI GT70, running Windows 8.0. Any insight that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2013-07-28 at 13:21.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No one?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I do. I downloaded it and installed it before I even tried to plug in the unit.

Ron M
    Last edited by Ron M; 2013-07-31 at 18:44.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Have you tried different USB ports?

Have you checked the Lexar site for Windows 8 compatibility?

Have you checked the Lexar support site for similar issues?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I have tried all 3 USB3 ports on my laptop - same problem on all three. Tried the 2 USB2 ports and it works okay, but it is supposed to be a USB3 peripheral.

Tried the 2 USB3 ports on my wife's new Win 8 laptop - and the unit was not even recognized. Tried it on both her USB2 ports and it worked.

There does not seem to be a Lexar solution for a Win 8 computer, so that may be at the root of the problem - I have had a series of discussions/e-mails exchanges with their customer support and they do not seem to have any idea why this is happening. I haven't checked the Lexar forum as I did not know they had one, but I will do this and see what response I get. Thanks for that suggestion.

Ron M

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem with a 16 gig USB3 drive. My win8 laptop did not recognize it in either drive slot (one is usb2). I swapped my son for a different brand usb3 drive and it works fine. My original one works fine on his laptop which is not win8. I don't think the drivers for win8 are up to par yet.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caveman144 View Post
    I had a similar problem with a 16 gig USB3 drive. My win8 laptop did not recognize it in either drive slot (one is usb2). I swapped my son for a different brand usb3 drive and it works fine. My original one works fine on his laptop which is not win8. I don't think the drivers for win8 are up to par yet.
    You could be right. Lexar have, in fact, suggested that this may be the case. I am going to send an e-mail to MSI, the manufacturer of the unit and see what they have to say. Maybe they have machine specific, or at least brand specific USB3 drivers. Thanks for the information.

Ron M