New Lounger
    Thanks

program sounds gone

in my windows 7 home premium with 8g ram, i5 intel cpu, updates current, on my 3 year oldHP Pavilion Elite,
    I have suddenly lost sound in my programs, not in system sounds. when windows boots, I hear the startup jingle. windows explorer sounds work.
    but quicken ca-ching when entering a transaction is silent although 'turn on quicken sounds' is ticked in preferances. and winpatrol's scotty no longer barks.
    this is a last few days development.

I had been trying to install Jacquie Lawson's circus, which requires Adobe air, which needed a new version. I had all kinds of problems with that, and getting circus to work after air was updated. I had given up on it, and then thought perhaps it was connected to my strange little sound problem, so uninstalled circus, but not Adobe Air.

that didn't solve the problem, so I did a restore point back to before I had updted Air. THAT didn't work either.

at the same time as the sound problems mentioned, windows media also suddenly won't play anything.

I did follow the install/uninstall procedure (in turn windows features on or off) for windows media, and that changed nothing.

I also installed another player, VLC, and it gives no error message, but plays silently.

in control panel 'manage audio devices', sound tab, I tested all the program sounds, like quicken ca-ching,and they worked! but not in the programs!

and yes, my sound volume is on, the speakers are working, etc etc.

the only thing left that I can see is the possibility that one or more of the recent windows updates may have done something to the system.
    they put themselves through one night when shutting down, although I have the d/l but don't install option.

thus I didn't get a chance to review the patch watch.

checking the update history there are none from the july 22 list that appear to be updating media player.

any suggestions ? should I do a restore back to before those updates ?

thanks,

Vern

Thanks
    any suggestions ? should I do a restore back to before those updates ?
    That's what I would do given what you have already done.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    only problem is all those windows updates are gone....

if it doesn't fix the problem I guess I can always undo the restore point...

Thanks
    My apologies, I thought you were talking about an image restore rather than a restore point from system restore.

You really ought to get away from using system restore and go with a drive image based type of restore as a more viable solution to these sorts of
    quirky software mal-interactions.

I suggest creating a drive image now so that you'll at least have something to fall back on, in the event the attempted fix makes things even worse
    than they are now. If you do decide to create an image, don't forget the most important part, the bootable disk.
    The image created should also be stored on a separate drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bink99 View Post

in control panel 'manage audio devices', sound tab, I tested all the program sounds, like quicken ca-ching,and they worked! but not in the programs!
    bink,
    Did you try to click on "Speakers" and set a Default device? Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    hi Clint, thanks for your interest.

yes, exactly as in your picture, "realtek high definition audio" is the default device.

this is a new development, no hardware or hardware settings have been changed by me.

after the several restore points I did, the only thing left that I can see to cause this strange problem is one of the july windows updates.

the problem just to refresh, is simply that windows sounds all work fine, but not program sounds , and no player will play. and in the sound management, ALL sounds work when tested.

thanks,

Vern

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Fred, my apologies for calling you Clint!

do you have any further suggestions ? the system was working perfectly 1 day, then suddenly - all program sounds are gone.
    I just noticed that windows live mail is silent when mail arrives, and as I previously mentioned Quicken doesn't do its cash register sound, winpatrol's scottie doesn't bark any more, NO players will work ( I have tried 3 besides wmp).

in addition to all this and maybe or not connected, flash player is always giving a message that it may busy or...
    also quicktime when it comes up gives a similar message.
    I have updated flash player, shockwave flash, for both FF and IE, to no avail.

I would REALLY appreciate it if someone would work with me on this.

CLINT - I do a full image backup on a nightly basis with Image for Windows.

however I have no thought of down-level restoring my entire system for what has to be some very minor problem.

I am a fairly experienced techie, and help lots of folks with their various computer problems; but in spite of all the googling I've done, can't find any help with this one.

hopefully,

Vern

Thanks
    An Image restore from just prior to the failure will not do much as far as loosing a lot of stuff. Just back up your data again then restore from an Image you created. So what if you loose some Windows Updates. Not a big deal. If this problem just occurred then you cannot have that many changes since then other than with data.

Once you are back in a working order, install the WU one at a time to find out which is the offending item.

At some point in time you have to decide is the time spent trying to fix a problem worse than the time spent restoring updates after restoring an Image. These strange problems can gobble huge amounts of time, and often are not solved even after this effort. We create Images for just these sort of times!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bink99 View Post
    Hello Fred,
    do you have any further suggestions ?
    Vern,
    Hello... Go to "Computer Management"> "Device Manager"... Check you "Sound and Video game controllers " Right click on each listed and choose properties... Make sure that they (Drivers) are functioning properly... Also on some players there is a "Mute" button.. so you could see the audio "display" on the player itself but not hear it. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-08-12 at 16:06.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    however I have no thought of down-level restoring my entire system for what has to be some very minor problem.
    I am a fairly experienced techie
    Obviously it's not minor if you are an experienced technical person and can't work it out readily.
    This is exactly what many of us use imaging for; to set things right for which we cannot
    easily come up with a solution or are too pressed for time.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build: