4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need temporary security suite, preferably free

Hi,
    I am running Avira Internet Security 2012 on my XP desktop. Today an update was made available, but when I tried to install it said I should first remove SuperAntiSpyware and Trustee Report as they may be incompatible with Avira.

There is no way I am going to remove the latter, which gives added security when accessing financial sites, such as my bank and credit card provider.

At some stage during the next six months I shall be replacing XP, and plan to use Windows Defender on the new PC, but need a replacement in the meantime, as I assume the existing version of Avira will no longer be updated.

In the past I have used Zonealarm, Avast and AVG, but found them unsatisfactory, and would be grateful for any recommendations as to the most reliable substitute, preferably free, as it would probably only be a temporary measure.

Many thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    To be honest, I have a completely different view of the 'merits' of Trusteer Rapport, however hard it is pushed by some UK banks!

But I think you are going to have a job finding another 'free' Internet Security Suite. Is less than £20 a year too much for you to pay, on Norton or Kaspersky Internet Securities, say? I find a cheap, fairly recent version (last two/three years?), on Amazon and install it, and wait for the manufacturer to suggest that I download the latest version of the product (downside, can be hundreds of megabytes) and upgrade to this latest version "for free".
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-07-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An interesting idea! The downside to buying from Amazon is that they appear to send it by post, leaving me without proper protection for several days, and even longer if one buys an old version and waits for it to be updated.

There is the option to download a trial version of the KIS, although I would like to pay less than £40 for a few months usage. My memory of Norton is worse than ZoneAlarm – bloated and a resource hog, also, if my memory is correct, KIS is not highly regarded.

Failing any other alternative by tomorrow morning I’ll go for the trial version.

With regard to Trustee Report, it is supposed to protect secured sites from key loggers, if it doesn’t do so I would much obliged for the evidence, as that would be the easy answer to my problem – just update Avira as suggested.

George

Thanks
    You continue with the old protection until you uninstall it, and install the new protection. You remain protected while downloading the even-newer protection, which automatically installs and takes over since the product key is already present.

"Norton bloated and a resource hog" would have been true several years ago (indeed, I can remember saying this myself!), but they have now reformed and fairly efficient for an Internet Security suite. I would suggest that you do not rely on your memory, because things in the computer world change quite rapidly.

Similarly, for rude comments about Trusteer Rapport (for that is its name) a quick Google will give you more than you desire. Inevitably, some people with fast PCs seem to find it not a problem to run, others (perhaps many others) find it slow and problematic. You may have been fortunate.

In all my career I have never met any key-logging software, neither when in charge of antivirus protection for about 2500 PCs and 150 servers (Sophos, since you ask), or at home, across many versions of Windows. I, too, may have been fortunate!
    BATcher

Thanks
    As an ex Rapport user and sometime crash dump analyst, I know that Rapport can be very hard on some systems. Rapport have details on which security and other software may not work well with it.
    Are there any known conflicts between Trusteer Endpoint Protection and other security products?

There are known issues with the following products:

Avira
    Trend Micro Internet Security
    PrevX SafeOnLine
    Comodo Internet Security or Firewall with Defense+ prior to version 3.13, when used with Firefox
    iAntiVirus on Mac OS X
    CA Internet Security Suite 2009 when used with Internet Explorer
    PC-Tools ThreatFire + Comodo
    EMET (Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit)
    Driver Verifier

We're working with these vendors to resolve the issues. Until then you can either stop Trusteer Endpoint Protection or stop the conflicting tool.

The following free antivirus solution works well with Trusteer Endpoint Protection:http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials

A full list of compatible products can be found here.
    I'm not sure how current the above are (some look very old) but the bottom line for me is that if it has 'problems' with Driver verifier (an inbuilt Windows tool for detecting bad drivers), then it should not to be regarded as stable.

If you must use a temporary security suite, you would do worse than try the Eset Beta that's currently available. I know a very experienced crash dump analyst who swears by it; I tested it briefly a week or so ago and it seemed pretty good. http://www.eset.com/us/beta/v7/ known issues here: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page...nt&id=SOLN3354

8. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2013-07-29)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    You continue with the old protection until you uninstall it, and install the new protection. You remain protected while downloading the even-newer protection, which automatically installs and takes over since the product key is already present.
    Good to know that Avira will still offer some protection until this matter is resolved. However, they are unlikely to update the old version, so the risk will increase the longer nothing is done.

Googling ‘Trusteer Rapport’ as you suggested, the first thing I saw was Krebs on Security, which thought it useful for the individual, although he didn’t recommend it for businesses, unlike Susan Bradley who considered it essential for small businesses. I didn’t get much further with Google as I was off to see the Bolshoi at Covent Garden.

Reading further comments this morning I decided to remove TR and update to Avira’s new version. Easier said than done!

Using Add and Remove Programmes was unbelievably quick, arousing my suspicions, but it was no longer listed there. Start/All Programmes only offered to stop TR, so that was selected. Revo Uninstaller no longer listed TR, and Absolute Uninstaller led to an impasse - after 20 minutes of waiting while ‘Windows configures TR’ I manually shut down the PC.

Deciding that TR being stopped might be the cause, I restarted it, and again tried Revo and Absolute again, but with the same result. I am now waiting for a reply from TR regarding how to uninstall it.

Having spent most of the morning trying to uninstall the dammed thing, I am fed up with it.

It’s unlikely to be connected, but each time I boot up this morning – and there have been quite a few – a New Hardware Wizard wants me to update the drivers for an unknown device, but no hardware has been added this year.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2013-07-30 at 08:25. Reason: separate last paragraphs

Thanks
    Uninstalling Trusteer Rapport is one of its problems! See if http://www.trusteer.com/support/unin...nstall-utility is of any assistance.
    BATcher

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that did the trick, and a lot quicker than waiting for a reply from Support.

George

Thanks
    Glad it worked for you!
    BATcher

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You were wise to uninstall Trusteer Rapport. It’s easily compromised. See http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Truste...tually-useless

SuperAntiSpyware is of little value, so you can also uninstall that. See http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392877,00.asp

Unless you need parental controls, an internet suite isn’t really necessary. Standard antivirus software is adequate. For free choices, see http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...lware-software

If you’re serious about computer security, make sure you access the internet through a limited account, not the administrator account.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cloudsandskye For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2013-08-01)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not use Trusteer Rapport for most of the reasons outlined above. What concerns me is that the banks (both sides of the Atlantic) are so universal in pushing it that, should my machine be compromised, and my bank account hacked, my bank may ask for the Trusteer log. No Trusteer log, no compensation. That would not be a welcome development.

This has not happened, yet.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    everythign has some shortcomings
    there is no perfect program
    and none of them cover all types of threats

add win patrol - it is very useful
    norton blocks a lot of unauthorised outbound phoning home - although soso on other issues
    have you considered mbam ? that helps a lot
    i dont care for windows defender myself but if you like it then use it
    spyware blaster is useful
    i have a couple of other separate programs that i run as needed
    microsoft has a couple of others in addition to defender

i would use zone alarm except that i fear that it may be phoning home to the mossad with info on my pc

Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Hi,
    I am running Avira Internet Security 2012 on my XP desktop. Today an update was made available, but when I tried to install it said I should first remove SuperAntiSpyware and Trustee Report as they may be incompatible with Avira.

There is no way I am going to remove the latter, which gives added security when accessing financial sites, such as my bank and credit card provider.

At some stage during the next six months I shall be replacing XP, and plan to use Windows Defender on the new PC, but need a replacement in the meantime, as I assume the existing version of Avira will no longer be updated.

In the past I have used Zonealarm, Avast and AVG, but found them unsatisfactory, and would be grateful for any recommendations as to the most reliable substitute, preferably free, as it would probably only be a temporary measure.

Many thanks.

Thanks
    Another reason to ditch Rapport if anyone needs one: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08...kdown_exploit/