Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How capable an antivirus is "Defender" in W8?

I would really appreciate your input and assessments on this one, Friends. Is Defender a sufficient stand alone. Or, would you still advocate an additional/alternative antivirus. My go to has always been AVG... that's my personal fav. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Gerard,

As part of a multi-layered security regime it works just fine. Of course, if you're prone to go places you souldn't it may not be enough.

I've been using it along w/Malwarebytes Pro (both running active) on my main PC dual booted (Win 8 Pro / Win 7 HP) for well over a year w/o problems. I ran the former MSE on the Win 7 side. I've been running with only WD on my brand new Win 8 computer for the last week w/o problems, I'm just waiting for a sale on MalwareBytes Pro to add it as I said before part of a multi-layered approach including a hardware firewall in my router, Windows Firewall (software), WOT link scanner, Firefox browser with addins: NO-Script, Ad-Block Plus, Flashblock, etc. HTH

Almost forgot to mention I use MSE/Malwarebytes on both my & my wife's laptops again w/o incident.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I do not recommend the Windows Defender program which comes with Windows 8.

When I got Windows 8, I decided to stick with Windows Defender. However, I wanted to change the scan schedule to do a quick scan six nights per week and a full scan one night per week. So I looked in the settings of Defender, but I found that Microsoft, for whatever reason, had removed scheduling from the settings screen of Defender! You now are required to go to Windows Task Scheduler to set up the schedule!

Fine, I thought. I went to Task Scheduler and proceeded to set up what I thought was a correctly set up profile for the above scenario (actually, two profile, one for the full scan and one for the quick scan).

Then a few days later, I picked up some spyware!

I cleaned up my computer and then ditched Windows Defender. I still had a few months left on my Vipre subscription, so I installed that. No problems since installing Vipre.

The scheduling setup is so convoluted and counter-intuitive for Windows Defender that I strongly recommend AGAINST your using it. Not only that, but I picked up some malware while depending on Windows Defender.

Also, good luck trying to check the scan history to confirm whether or not Windows defender is actually performing the scans you want.

Thanks
    I also recommend the multi-layered approach. AV/AM, plus MalwareBytes Pro (pro allows real time running whereas free version is manual scan only, no real time). Malwarebytes Pro seems to play very well with whatever AV/AM you choose. Plus no one AV/AM app will catch everything. I am presently using AVG AV 2013 (got it for free for a 3 license pack).

I also have the Win 8 S/W firewall and a H/W firewall in my router.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So far, so interesting! Yes, one other thing I was wondering is how much if any, a multi-layered approach slows the system down

Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I also recommend the multi-layered approach. AV/AM, plus MalwareBytes Pro (pro allows real time running whereas free version is manual scan only, no real time). Malwarebytes Pro seems to play very well with whatever AV/AM you choose. Plus no one AV/AM app will catch everything. I am presently using AVG AV 2013 (got it for free for a 3 license pack).

I also have the Win 8 S/W firewall and a H/W firewall in my router.
    Yes, Ted, I remember... I'm the one who clued you in on that free offer for AVG from Newegg.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Detection rate wise, Microsoft's malware offerings are pretty lame. This can be verified in multiple comparative studies. For a knowledgeable user, this may or many not be an issue. I wouldn't run a system where I would rely solely on Microsoft's firewall and Defender.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Multi-layered is good, except for one thing: you can only have one security product in each category doing active monitoring at a time. For example, you can't have Windows Defender AND AVG both active at the same time; however, can have both products installed with, say, AVG doing active monitoring and Windows Defender available to do manual scans as desired.

The other aspect of multi-layering is that you have all of the categories covered. For example, you have an active firewall, an active anti-virus program, an active anti-spyware program, etc. Make sure that you have one program at a time "active" in all of the categories, and then as many programs as you want "inactive" in the various categories.

Otherwise, the active ones will interfere with each other.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Multi-layered is good, except for one thing: you can only have one security product in each category doing active monitoring at a time. For example, you can't have Windows Defender AND AVG both active at the same time; however, can have both products installed with, say, AVG doing active monitoring and Windows Defender available to do manual scans as desired.

The other aspect of multi-layering is that you have all of the categories covered. For example, you have an active firewall, an active anti-virus program, an active anti-spyware program, etc. Make sure that you have one program at a time "active" in all of the categories, and then as many programs as you want "inactive" in the various categories.

Otherwise, the active ones will interfere with each other.
    That's really not true. Some products allow that. Emsisoft AntiMalware, which is the AV I use can run at the same time with some other solutions, like MSE, for example. Malwarebytes can be run at the same time with other similar apps. So your statement, even if it applies to some products, doesn't apply to all.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    That's really not true. Some products allow that. Emsisoft AntiMalware, which is the AV I use can run at the same time with some other solutions, like MSE, for example. Malwarebytes can be run at the same time with other similar apps. So your statement, even if it applies to some products, doesn't apply to all.
    Unless you are sure that two antimalware products can do active monitoring simultaneously on the same computer, it is better to choose only one of the two to do the active monitoring.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Of course, you need to know they can be used together, but the blank statement that such products cannot be used together can no longer be made. More than one product allows that and if they achieve it without hurting performance, they can ensure you can apply a multi-layered strategy with great confidence.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I use Windows Defender/Firewall in Windows 8 and MSE/Windows Firewall in Windows 7, and run an occasional Malwarebytes scan. IE10 is my browser. My router has a hardware firewall. I've had no malware issues.

As for scheduling scans with Task Scheduler for Windows Defender, this link contains a second link for more detail.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Of course, you need to know they can be used together, but the blank statement that such products cannot be used together can no longer be made. More than one product allows that and if they achieve it without hurting performance, they can ensure you can apply a multi-layered strategy with great confidence.
    I would always make that blanket statement if I were advising a non-advanced user, unless they asked me if there were two products which would work well together.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I would always make that blanket statement if I were advising a non-advanced user, unless they asked me if there were two products which would work well together.
    Well that's where we disagree. Knowing in certains conditions a statement is dead wrong, I would not make it.

In this specific case, the possibility of running two products at the same time, can be very relevant in terms of the protection obtained. This protection is all the more relevant to non advanced users and you are completely excluding it in your advice.

My view is different - I provide the best advice I can. Whether a user decides to take it or not, well that's up to the user. If the advice requires any precautions, those should be mentioned. I'd rather not presume anything about the users. A novice user today, is an advanced user tomorrow and all kinds of users read what we post here. Targeting a specific kind of users, especially without stating that you are doing it, limits even more the applicability of the advice you provide.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I use Windows Defender/Firewall in Windows 8 and MSE/Windows Firewall in Windows 7, and run an occasional Malwarebytes scan. IE10 is my browser. My router has a hardware firewall. I've had no malware issues.

As for scheduling scans with Task Scheduler for Windows Defender, this link contains a second link for more detail.
    I read your explanation that you put here:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post909926

While an advanced user could probably successfully set up the multiple-type scanning in Windows Defender, I doubt seriously that the average user could.

Microsoft Security Essentials didn't allow for setting up multiple scan schedules in the program, but at least you can make some changes to the schedule and the type of scan in the program itself.

To me, there's no excuse for the absolutely un-intuitive steps the user has to follow if he wants to modify the default scanning schedule in Windows Defender, or even to check what that schedule currently is.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Of course, if you're prone to go places you souldn't it may not be enough.
    That may not be sound advice, not that staying away from places you shouldn't be in is bad advice, but thinking that is where the bread crumbs are to malware. I personally am the most picky and meticulous when sorting a Google search result, and sometimes the first one to three hits looks the sketchiest to me. Pickpockets aren't in the back alleys, they are where the back pockets are!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast