New Lounger
    Thanks

Need help replacing Pinnacle Studio video-editing software

Hi. My first post. I have been using Pinnacle Studio ver 9 to edit my Cannon video camera and produce DVD's. Recently, I upgraded to Windows 7 and lost my Pinnacle software. The new Pinnacle Ver 16 (now from Corel) appears to be a nightmare. Can anyone suggest how I can get back to the simple yet effective video editing Pinnacle provided? I downloaded a trial version of Pinnacle 16 but I can not even edit my AVI files. Any suggestions re other software options or perhaps how I can get a copy of earlier Pinnacle would be greatly appreciated. Buying new software is not at problem

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Any must have features? I have Studio 16 but use 14 all the time instead because I need the multiple clip adjustment and filter feature for the type of videos I'm editing. The closest thing, still in the Pinnacle line I could find was Pinnacle Studio Plus, which is version 12.1 and I'm not sure what features the "plus" part means and it's uncertain that it's compatible with Windows 7. It's Vista compatible so I'm guessing it would be ok in 7 too, probably for sure in compatibility mode (XP SP3).

Anyway, I'm downloading it right now to see what's what, it didn't even indicate if it was a free version or what the cost was if not. It's 1.4 gigs so it must have a lot of the original Studio features.

If you decide to give it a try as well, BEWARE, the CNET downloader will first have a couple tiny checkmarks to uncheck or you will get AVG or something like that, and then there will be 5 or 6 or 7 options for even more "extra" software that you must be sure to Decline each time instead of Accept. The Decline button is faded out compared to the Accept button and trying to make one think they have to choose Accept to get the main download. So be careful, its the most wicked landmine field for unwanted software downloads that I've ever seen!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2013-08-01),sumac (2013-07-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you FUN Downtown for your quick reply. I download my Cannon Optura MiniDV tapes, 20 mins at a time to my extra hard drive. I use 20 mins so I can then backup the file onto one DVD data disk. I usually take about 15 hours of tapes on a long trip and then create about a 1 hour DVD video which I then make copies for my travel buddies. In Pinnacle 9, when you went to this file, it would come up with all the clips -- probably 50 or so for the 20 mins. I have a free trial of Pinnacle 16 but when I download this in the Library, it treats it as a single 20 min clip. I couldn't even find the clip editor on 16.
    My requirements are not great. I primarily select the clips I want to use, put them on the time line, and edit their start and stop time. The most complicated I get is the put on a longer clip for the audio, them add video clips on top of the frozen audio. Add a few menus, some titles and that's about it. No special effects are required.
    When you say ver 14 is available, where can you get it? I would be very happy to get back to the ver 9 capability and simplicity (although it did have a few stability problems).
    Any further help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
    You said you have Pinnacle 16. How do you find it? Is it worth the learning curve to use? I do not see that I need all the features they are touting.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I bought version 14 upgrade back in the day, I could not find it online now, just 12.1 Plus which I'm downloading. 14 still does the automatic video splitting into clips. 16 is more like the Avid professional version and I don't really get it either. I can see where it is possible to put together a video with a lot of effects and more professional transitions but like you, that's not what I'm after and I haven't found time yet to see if I can make it work for me more like I want.

I'll have more information about 12.1 Plus in...a few hours.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

sumac (2013-07-29)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, the good news, looks like a full version of Studio 12 and it worked just fine for me in Windows 7 without any modifications. The potentially bad news is it says 15 day trial, upgrade now or use, when I click on upgrade online, a couple clicks later went to a non-existent page, but it was confusing 12 for my already installed 14. However I get the idea that it would be a dead end either way. So, if it really does expire in 15 days, it looks to me like there isn't a way to pay a nominal fee to unlock the trial.

You might also like Corel Videostudio (X5) and it's pretty inexpensive now because X6 is out. One has to manually scan the video for scene changes to split it into clips but it works as well as Studio automatic one does. Can't apply changes to more than one clip at a time though (but you said you don't need that feature). It's pretty easy to get the hang of it in my opinion. Easy to split off the natural audio and add your own background. I have X4 so how different could X5 be...right? It's $30 on Amazon, 25 at Dell.com and X6 is $38 right now on Amazon so that won't break the bank. There is a trial for X6 available on the Corel trial download page if you want to try it out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

sumac (2013-07-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much FUN downtown for all the investigation you did for me. It has been very helpful. I will likely try a trial of Corel X6 although it might be a few days before I can get at it. I will let you know about my progress on this site -- I may even have some questions about how X6 works to tap into your expertise. If you don't mind checking back into this stream from time to time over the next week or so that would be fantastic. Once again, much thanks for your help -- you really went above and beyond what I expected.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure, I was hoping I'd get a free old version of Studio (just pay the $15 or so for the codec licenses) myself that I could put on some old refurbs I'm fixing up but doesn't look that way.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    this is also my first post --- anyway, I just ran across this

This may help answer your question: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...
    "My Studio plus version 11 also would not work (open) in Windows 7. Tried this and it worked. Give it a try....go to control panel, trouble shooting then Programs (run programs made for previous versions of windows). It gives you a list of programs, find Studio and try the settings made for Vista. There are a few different options, this one seemed to work for me. Good Luck." - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/68...studio-windows
    Who knows - maybe you can get the old version working, if you still have the installation files... .

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sumac View Post
    Hi. My first post. I have been using Pinnacle Studio ver 9 to edit my Cannon video camera and produce DVD's. Recently, I upgraded to Windows 7 and lost my Pinnacle software. The new Pinnacle Ver 16 (now from Corel) appears to be a nightmare. Can anyone suggest how I can get back to the simple yet effective video editing Pinnacle provided? I downloaded a trial version of Pinnacle 16 but I can not even edit my AVI files. Any suggestions re other software options or perhaps how I can get a copy of earlier Pinnacle would be greatly appreciated. Buying new software is not at problem

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi sumac.
    I changed over from Pinnacle Studio 9 a couple of years ago. I'm now using CyberLink's Power Director 10, there's a later version available but I haven't tried that yet. The 10 version is quite intuitive and I think from memory just as simple to use as was Pinnacle Studio 10

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you FUN downtown, isshin and Bslatts for your comments. My investigation so far. I have tried to use Pinnacle ver 16 trial to see if I could get it to do the kind of editing that I want with no success. I have given up on it. FUN I tried to download trial Pinnacle 12 as you suggested, but for some reason it fully loaded but then did not finish set-up. I tried it twice.
    isshin, thanks for the tips and I tried it out. Unfortunately, it will not work on Pinnacle 9 since it came out before Vista. Your ver 11 does work however. This is a very useful technique to know for the future.
    At this point, I feel I have 2 choices to follow. (1) I can purchase thru Amazon, Pinnacle 12 box sets for a reasonable price. I think I will try that. If this does not work then (2) I will investigate either Cyberlink Power Director or Corel Video Studio Pro X6. I hope I can get free trials on these. Bslatts, thanks for your comments on Power Director. I had looked at it and wondered if it might be suitable. It is going to take me some time to get the Pinnacle 12. If this thread is still up, I will post my results. Thanks to all

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That could work, I only looked up Studio 14 and that was significantly more expensive; $20 for 12, grab it, too bad the trial didn't finish installing, it has to do a little phoning home for registration so make sure that's not blocked by security. If the older version handled you video files fine then 12 should as well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD version 11, which is quite cheap (especially now v12 is out) but I have no idea how well it would suit you.