Thanks

Problems with MS Office 2010 SP2

So far, there have been three different problems reported which began occurring after the user installed MS Office 2010 SP2:

Windows Quicklaunch Toolbar moving around:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ns-Keep-Moving

Phantom folders in Outlook 2010 PSTs:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...look-2010-PSTs

Emails arriving without attachments:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...UT-ATTACHMENTS

What other problems are you aware of?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

csmart4125 (2013-07-31)

Thanks
    That is three more than I was aware of. None have to do with word processing, though.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Administrator
    Thanks
    Agreed. I've moved this to General Productivity.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    We are experiencing an issue where PowerPoint files that link to Excel data to draw charts lose the X and Y axis values in addition to legend text after the update. I had an example file. It opened and displayed fine. Applied SP2. Opened the file and all axis and legend values are gone. Post in Microsoft support forums with example graphs is:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-y-axis-values

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfollis View Post
    We are experiencing an issue where PowerPoint files that link to Excel data to draw charts lose the X and Y axis values in addition to legend text after the update. I had an example file. It opened and displayed fine. Applied SP2. Opened the file and all axis and legend values are gone. Post in Microsoft support forums with example graphs is:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-y-axis-values
    This could be something as simple as a change in the colour scheme - white text on a white background.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi- Susan Bradley from windows newsletter last month suggested holding off from installing KB2687455 for MS office 2010 sp2. I still have this to update and keep getting reminders that this is available on my pc. Should I check the box and install or should I still wait? I ran Belarc and it shows that my pc is up to date! Thanks for any advice.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Good suggestion. Looked again and that doesn't appear to be the case. If you follow the link to the example graphs, you can see that the X and Y axis titles are actually closer to the axis, implying that the text representing scale and tick marks has been removed. Attempting to enable and disable tic marks doesn't appear to work either.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently the solution involves the font. For some reason "Arial (Body)" is the font in use. Have not confirmed if it is the one in use before the update or if it gets "selected" somehow as a result of the update. Anyway, that font simply does not work. You have to select the graph and chose "Arial" from the font list an then all is good. For larger slide decks, I thought this might be a good chance to use "Replace...Font", but that doesn't work either. You have to do the following to replace the "Arial (Body) font from all graphs in the deck:

1. Save your file before making the change.
    2. Click on the “View” tab.
    3. Choose “Slide Master” in the “Master Views” section.
    4. Click on “Fonts” in the “Edit Theme” section.
    5. Choose “Office Classic 2” as the font theme.
    6. Click on “Close Master View”

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfollis View Post
    Apparently the solution involves the font. For some reason "Arial (Body)" is the font in use. Have not confirmed if it is the one in use before the update or if it gets "selected" somehow as a result of the update. Anyway, that font simply does not work. You have to select the graph and chose "Arial" from the font list an then all is good. For larger slide decks, I thought this might be a good chance to use "Replace...Font", but that doesn't work either. You have to do the following to replace the "Arial (Body) font from all graphs in the deck:

1. Save your file before making the change.
    2. Click on the “View” tab.
    3. Choose “Slide Master” in the “Master Views” section.
    4. Click on “Fonts” in the “Edit Theme” section.
    5. Choose “Office Classic 2” as the font theme.
    6. Click on “Close Master View”
    That’s a very interesting discovery, but I suspect it may be that what you need, and are now getting, is Arial Unicode. That’s just a guess, I admit. For a ten-year-old article that explains the history of Unicode (before getting into some technically heavy stuff), you might enjoy Joel on Software Unicodehttp://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2013-08-21 at 00:15.