Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Features removed from 8.1

I know I ask a lot from you guys. And please know that I can't get on without you. But I also long to contribute something of value as well. I stumbled across this little blurb that I found most interesting and informative about some of what to expect with the release of 8.!.

http://www.howtogeek.com/167610/8-fe...n-windows-8.1/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerard3 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-07-30)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There's some good insight there into why Apps are so horrid and definitely not going in a good direction with loss of hub apps and the carnage from the Microsoft/Google war. I don't even begin to understand the photo app not being able to integrate with the integrated SkyDrive...that sort of thing would drive me to abandon all apps...oh, wait a minute, already did that.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    There's some good insight there into why Apps are so horrid and definitely not going in a good direction with loss of hub apps and the carnage from the Microsoft/Google war. I don't even begin to understand the photo app not being able to integrate with the integrated SkyDrive...that sort of thing would drive me to abandon all apps...oh, wait a minute, already did that.
    I suspect this revelation is going to give some folks cause as to whether they want to update... no libraries, system back up, etc. I personally do not need much of what I have observed thus far about those apps. Makes me think of "bloatware." I have softwares already that suit my needs. However, I do feel that some folk will appreciate the return of the Start button.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard3 View Post
    I know I ask a lot from you guys. And please know that I can't get on without you. But I also long to contribute something of value as well. I stumbled across this little blurb that I found most interesting and informative about some of what to expect with the release of 8.!.

http://www.howtogeek.com/167610/8-fe...n-windows-8.1/
    Thanks for the helpful information!

Thanks
    If I do go to Windows 8.1, I hope that I'm not continually "directed" to SkyDrive as I currently am to the library folders. I have no interest in using SkyDrive at this time, although I may at a future date.

I also hope that my StartIsBack isn't disabled in favor of the new Windows 8.1 start button.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Thanks for the helpful information!
    My pleasure, Jim. I'm delighted it interested you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I do go to Windows 8.1, I hope that I'm not continually "directed" to SkyDrive as I currently am to the library folders. I have no interest in using SkyDrive at this time, although I may at a future date.

I also hope that my StartIsBack isn't disabled in favor of the new Windows 8.1 start button.
    I think I can appreciate why you say that, Jim. I have not installed it yet, but I sure have seen how cool that StartIsBack looks, and its value.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, I think many are going to really dislike that constant, obvious, intrusive reminder to "click here" to go to the start screen, and server no other purpose. If Microsoft more or less leaves the hot corners in though, maybe there'll be a tic box in some option to reveal it or not though. I personally would like the hot corners to go away then while on the desktop and let me have that screen edge real estate again for hidden toolbars, like I gots me in XP.

You probably read where StartIsBack (SIB) can also be used to control the proliferation of start screen tiles whenever a program is installed, like a classroom of children all throwing spitballs at the chalkboard at the same time! Microsoft is making some major overhauls in start screen tile organization in 8.1 so that part should improve quite a bit without the aid of SIB.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard3 View Post
    I think I can appreciate why you say that, Jim. I have not installed it yet, but I sure have seen how cool that StartIsBack looks, and its value.
    The reason I like it is because I very much like the way Windows 7 operates, and it allows me to continue using something that works very well for me.

As far as its value, it was FREE for 90 days, and then only $3 for two licenses thereafter. That's about as good of a value as you can get.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The reason I like it is because I very much like the way Windows 7 operates, and it allows me to continue using something that works very well for me.

As far as its value, it was FREE for 90 days, and then only $3 for two licenses thereafter. That's about as good of a value as you can get.
    I getcha, Jim. To me it makes sense-- Desktop computer, desktop appearance.

Thanks
    I chose Classic Shell and Start8 for our 2 PCs because they seemed more customizable. Since I have not really installed StartIsBack, just looked at the web page, I cannot be sure about this, but these 2 apps work very well for us.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Once again, contrary to others here I see no need for the third party apps. I would urge you to examine the way you use (or used) the PC with Windows versions prior to Windows 8. If you are like most users there is a fairly limited subset of your installed programs that you use on a regulare basis. Pin those to the taskbar. If you need to organize the start screen so your most frequently used programs are easy to find. Use the Windows key to get to the Start screen quickly. Voila shortcuts to your other programs are right there in the order in which you want them. Start a desktop program and you are back in the desktop.

I run Windows 8 like this at work and at home. I use Windows 8 10 - 12 hours a day like this. I'm in the desktop > 80% of the time (probably more than 90%) and this works very well for me. I don't miss the start menu and will actively not have the start button when I upgrade to windows 8.1.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I have to agree with Joe. There is nothing like trying it yourself and see how you handle it. It will be useful to know some of the key combinations used in Windows 8, WinKey + Q probably the most useful one. If you can avoid the sense of "panic" regarding the removal of the Start button and of feeling a bit lost when it is time to start a new app or accessing the control panel (WinKey + X opens a menu that will allow such access), you will get productive with Windows 8 very quickly.

I think one needs to accept Windows 8 is different and may require a little time to adapt, but soon you will be working as usual. There are some nice new features, as well. I quite like Snap and now with a laptop that has the resolution to support it, I use it everyday. There are also some great news apps that use the best of the new Windows 8 features (metro apps), which I also use everyday. If you have a touch enabled computer, the experience is even more rewarding.

I have no doubts stating that Windows 8 is the best Windows I have used. There is nothing I really miss from the previous versions (even if sometimes, you could do with a start menu to go through your apps faster).

Now, I know the messaging app won't be as good in 8.1. That's a disappointment for me. Both on my phone and my laptop, I love to be able to use messaging without having to go through facebook's UI. Seems that's something that will be lost in 8.1 and I am sure I will miss it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    So I guess you have to pick from door #1, door #2, or door #3!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I don't miss the start menu and will actively not have the start button when I upgrade to windows 8.1.
    How?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-07-31 at 11:49.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast