Thread: Popup problems

New Lounger
    Thanks

Popup problems

I have a difficult question to answer because it's more of a guess type of answer.

First my OS is Windows Home premium Vista, browser Internet Explorer 9, virus programs: Microsoft security Essentials, Super AntiSpyware Free Edition, Malwarebytes Antimalware. I have CC Cleaner installed. I have used these to run a full scan to find any problems and none showed up. I did a system restore which did not solve the problem.

My Problem: Popups' over and under, suddenly started showing up on the web pages I visited, particularly Yahoo and Google. When I clicked the back button, all that would happen would be the pop-ups would flash and I could not go back to the previous page. I could click the refresh button and I could go back sometimes. These pop-ups would appear in the advertisements that were normally on the page but would be changed into another ad which prevented me from using my back button.

So, Here's my dilemma. I started searching through the Internet Explorer's link and buttons, my control panels links and possibly CCCleaners links. In doing so, I had a small window to appear (the window had no enlargement button) which had a list of sites that gave me an option to "Allow" or "Block". I only recognized 2 sites on this long list and they were Google and Double Click. None of the sites had the (.com) with them and some of the listings were just a bunch of letters strung together and were not recognized as a site. An example of how they were listed: " Interlek 30 sites Allowed' or "sglctvch 20 sites Allowed". I remember one as:
    "Google(I forgot the added word) 10 sites Allowed". I changed all the sites except Google from Allowed to Blocked and my problem has vanished.

But, now comes my problem. I don't remember how I got to this window. Hopefully, someone with computer smarts will recognize this window and tell me how to get back to it in case I have the problem again. It seems as if this is a common problem with what I saw while Googling trying to find a solution. None of the answers I found on Google worked.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved. After much digging I found what I wanted. It stopped the Pop-ups that I couldn't control. Maybe it will help someone else who has the same problem.

First click control Pane. In lower left hand corner click the link
    Click "Check this computer's Security Status.)

Click Windows security center
    Click Internet Options
    Click programs under Internet Properties
    Click Manage add-ons
    Click Tracking Protection
    Click "Your Personalized List Status Disabled
    That will bring up a page with settings at the left bottom of the page
    Click Setings
    That will bring up the page, "Personalized Tracking Protection List"
    Now you can block or allow which sites you choose. It also gives you info and the sites.

Thanks
    Glad you solved your problem. Thanks for posting your solution. Any idea on what happened to start this problem? Was it after an update or program change? It's strange that something should start with nothing else precipitating the event. It almost appears something changed your tracking protection, or deleted some of the blocked sites, or something, strange!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    It appears you have a browser hijacker installed. These can be difficult to detect and remove. Try running Autoruns or [url=http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_run_in_startup.html[WhatInStartup[/url]. NOTE: Autoruns produces an enormous amount of information. You should be interested in the contents of the Logon tab.

If you don't recognize something post a screenshot of the output. Someone here can help identify it.

Joe