Thanks

Lightbulb For anyone interested in having an Applications window

For anyone who would like to have an Applications window on their Taskbar...

This creates a desktop shortcut (icon). You click on it, remove the Nav tree, select what View wanted, Sort how wanted and MINIMIZE. It will, now, sit on the Taskbar. Always just minimize, do not close. It is the equivalent of ALL Apps screen (WinQ). It allows one to access everything, not just what may be on the Start scree (Tiles) but, all applications in a traditional window type display, unlike the ALL Apps screen display AND makes everything accessible from Desktop w/out ever having to change screens.

It only has to be redone from the desktop icon if & when one boots or reboots.

You Rt Clk on Desktop > New > Shortcut. Put in the line below. Name it "Applications" and voila.

%windir%\explorer.exe
    shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

I may have mentioned this somewhere before but, you, also, may like to try using it, too.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg.1

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Or simply install the freeware Classic shell which installs a real start button. Click on it and you get separate flyouts for Desktop programs and modern apps. If you know the name of the program/app, simply start typing it and it will appear in the search results.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing, Drew & Jerry... I find it good to hear and know about all these "hot" tips. I am also one of those who are curious how the "Start" button will play out when 8.1 is released.

Thanks
    Point being between what I suggested above & the Desktop Toolbar there is no real need to add 3rd Party stuff.

Gerard,

What it amounts to is adding the Win key permanently to the Taskbar... it does what the Win key does, in Windows 8 &, still, can in 8.1... but, in 8.1 one can click an icon on the Taskbar. AND, now, one can set it so that Win button will > ALL Apps (screen) instead of Start (screen).

Cheers,
    Drew
    Win8Logo (2013_02_06 10_30_24 UTC).jpg.1

Thanks
    For some, the third party stuff is just easier and more comfortable for them. The true advantage of Windows is the ability to set things up the way you want it to work easiest for you. This just shows that 2 different people can, by customizing Windows to their needs, make Win 8, and we assume Win 8.1, work the way they want it, to work best for them. There is no right or wrong way to set up Windows. Set it up the way you wish it to be!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Point being between what I suggested above & the Desktop Toolbar there is no real need to add 3rd Party stuff.
    The flip side of that coin being that for those of us who desire more than Windows 8 can deliver in both function AND form, 3rd party tools are available for use without shame or chagrin. And one of the main attractions of Windows 8 is that it is still Windows, and therefore extremely customizable.

If one desires the technical modernity of Windows 8 yet much prefers the familiarity of use of the Windows 7 interface, it is but a StartIsBack, Classic Shell or Start8 away. We can all have what we want, the way we want it. That's Windows for ya!
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The day we loose the ability to customize Windows will be the day Windows will Die.
    Third party apps have always been an integral part of the Windows experience.
    You get to choose whether or not you want to use them, in my case, I'm glad to see MS put the traditional start button to bed. R.I.P
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.