5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rooting out a stubborn browser hijacker

LANGALIST PLUS

Rooting out a stubborn browser hijacker

By Fred Langa

When especially noxious malware or unwanted apps take root, special tools or manual techniques can help eradicate them. Plus: A Win8 Update problem, curing a year-long series of backup failures, and more tools for better copying.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/rooting-out-a-stubborn-browser-hijacker/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    The "quick and dirty" way to remove a stubborn browser hijacker is to disable Browser Helper Objects in your browser.

In IE:
    Choose Tools / Internet Options / Advanced.
    Under the Browsing section, uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions".

While I would rather eliminate the browser hijacker from my computer, if you can't get rid of it, this method will at least prevent it from loading (hopefully).

This is what I did to eliminate a popup which just wouldn't go away, no matter what I did.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One very easy way to remove stubborn borwser hijackers is run system restore, as it is quick and easy. Click start button or start orb, go to all programs, go to assessories, go to system tools then click on system restore. Running system restore you will select a date before the application was installed. This is easy, to do and once it is finished configuring the restore will ask to reboot and then when you restart the system it will tell you if the restore was successful or not.

Thanks
    And if all else fails, roll back to a System Backup Image which didn't have the issue. Yet another case in point for periodic full system image backups.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-08-08 at 08:39.
    -- Bob Primak --