Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You're being followed! How to block Web tracking

TOP STORY

You're being followed! How to block Web tracking

By Patrick Marshall
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean you're not being watched.
    When you're on the Internet, there are good reasons to have that eerie sense of being followed.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/youre-being-followed-how-to-block-web-tracking (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great article. Another option--use different browsers for different activities. A browser for Facebook only. Another for online banking and bill paying. A third for general surfing. Lots of browsers to choose from.

Looking forward to the next article.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jill E For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2013-08-01)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very interesting. Could you also mention (if you are not already going to) about how much protection a VPN can have over cookies etc.

Thanks
    PatrickMarshall,

Found a discrepancy in your article, Internet Explorer 10: . . .

Third paragraph down, (Second paragraph below Fig 7) "To create a custom policy, click the Advanced tab ; . . " this should be 'Radio Button' NOT the Advanced TAB as stated.

There will be more after finishing this very informative article, hope to see more and better information in the future. Presently using your information to setup my browsers and will be back when done.
    TIA, CU L8R,
    NTxLS Win7 Pro 64bit SP1; FireFox v49.x, all with the latest updates

Thanks
    PatrickMarshall,

I am back, you may use either the 'Gear Icon' or the Menu/Tools/Internet Options' to do the next two actions, #1."To clear your browsing history, . ." and #2. "Next, turn on IE 10's Do Not Track option." just select the Advanced Tab in the 'Internet Options' that is already open.

Thank you for the information about the "Get a Tracking Protection List online." Abine is a very good feature to have and never knew how to get it nor where or how to implement. This is one of the very BEST features to have and use. The creator of Abine also created the add-on for FF called 'Password Maker' that I have used from the very start.
    TIA, CU L8R,

Thanks
    PMArshall,

This is a very good start, should also mention that these Social Networking sites do not remove from their records of any private or personal information you entered and reconsidered to remove said information, it is deleted from the area where you entered it but is still retained in their archive.

Personally agree with the statement, "Perhaps reconsider your membership in social networks." If you do resign the data is still retained, "Better Yet, DO NOT JOIN." That is my moto . .

Great article, look forward to the next installment . .
    TIA, CU L8R,

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Great article ! and timely also with all of this news we are getting about how we are being recorded and tracked.
    Thanks, can't wait till part two.

Parmour

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Very informative article. After reading I went to my Nook with Chrome and Firefox. Chrome is very stingy with privacy settings. Firefox is better. This would be interesting to see in a follow-on article.

Thanks,
    Lynn Stearns

Lounger
    Thanks
    Please explain which is best to use allow for session or just allow. Wouldn't allow be the same as doing nothing? Just old and a bit confused which would be the best option. Excellent article. Also the Tool bar and change need there or just leave it as the default? Thanks so much.
    Lyle Hensley
    Really Enjoying Every Breath
    Retired US Army
    1957 - 1978

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NTLS View Post
    PatrickMarshall,

I am back, you may use either the 'Gear Icon' or the Menu/Tools/Internet Options' to do the next two actions, #1."To clear your browsing history, . ." and #2. "Next, turn on IE 10's Do Not Track option." just select the Advanced Tab in the 'Internet Options' that is already open.

Thank you for the information about the "Get a Tracking Protection List online." Abine is a very good feature to have and never knew how to get it nor where or how to implement. This is one of the very BEST features to have and use. The creator of Abine also created the add-on for FF called 'Password Maker' that I have used from the very start.
    As probably is covered in the upcoming article, Abine has an add-on for most major browsers. The add-on gives much more control over tracking than the generic list. But the list is a good starting point.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyman7 View Post
    Please explain which is best to use allow for session or just allow. Wouldn't allow be the same as doing nothing? Just old and a bit confused which would be the best option. Excellent article. Also the Tool bar and change need there or just leave it as the default? Thanks so much.
    Allow does indeed offer no restrictions. Allow for Session clears the cookies at the close of the browsing session. Persistent cookies may be useful for logins, etc., so clearing all cookies at the end of a session may not be desirable for everyone. Exceptions can then be made using the options outlined in the article.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LAStearns View Post
    Very informative article. After reading I went to my Nook with Chrome and Firefox. Chrome is very stingy with privacy settings. Firefox is better. This would be interesting to see in a follow-on article.

Thanks,
    Lynn Stearns
    Chrome benefits from add-ons, as does Firefox. The future article will explain some of these add-ons. If my favorites aren't included, I'll post then with some additional suggestions.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NTLS View Post
    PMArshall,

This is a very good start, should also mention that these Social Networking sites do not remove from their records of any private or personal information you entered and reconsidered to remove said information, it is deleted from the area where you entered it but is still retained in their archive.

Personally agree with the statement, "Perhaps reconsider your membership in social networks." If you do resign the data is still retained, "Better Yet, DO NOT JOIN." That is my moto . .

Great article, look forward to the next installment . .
    Prevention is always the best cure. If you don't want information to be tracked, don't post it in the first place.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2013-08-01 at 22:47.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwin999 View Post
    Very interesting. Could you also mention (if you are not already going to) about how much protection a VPN can have over cookies etc.
    No promises for the upcoming article were made about how a VPN affects user privacy online. I can tell you that VPNs can help a lot in hiding location and other tracking data. Some VPNs (called proxy services) also trap cookies, so they never reach your computer. If the topic isn't covered in a future article, I can post with a few details later.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I also found your information advantageous. Thank you very much. In my case my system only required a few more tweaks. However I would like to add another suggestion to those already posted by other Lounge members. When you do your second installment, would it be possible to address the subject of browser identity? My Firefox locks up about 50% of the time when on a Goggle sponsored website. It NEVER does that anywhere else. I got suspicious and changed by DNS identity, but the situation has not changed and I think it might be because the meta header sent to the Google site upon my arrival identifies Firefox as my browser. It is very obvious to Google's automated server/scanning equipment Chrome is not being used. So my question: Is there a way to totally hide one's browser identity? We can fake or hide passwords and some credit card companies provide a pseudo credit card number for making online purchases. Am I being paranoid about what the folks at Google just might be doing to increase usage of Chrome by periodically crashing non-Chrome browsers?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast