3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

On Things That Shorten the Life of an SSD

I have observed from customer reviewers of SSD's that some enjoy a greater longevity from such drives, while many others do not experience that longevity. Apparently, it behooves one to know how to treat these things right. Here is a little blurb I discovered about those things that reportedly tend to shorten the life of an SSD. Not included, but I've read it elsewhere one is best advised to turn off Windows "Restore" feature as well.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...long-its-life/

Comments??? My own impression is that perhaps one is best served to limit an SSD to a system drive, and use a spinning hard drive(s) to write/erase data.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerard3 For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2013-08-01)

Thanks
    Nice article.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    For years now, some of Apple's laptops, as the MacBook Air have been using SSDs only. Their iPads and even the MP3 players use the same technology used in SSDs, instead of using regular hard drives. I don't think anyone has had huge problems with SSDs.

I use SSDs just as I used regular disks. I replaced my oldish laptop's hard drive by an SSD, almost a year ago. A new company issued laptop has an SSD only. The technology has evolved in such a way that SSDs are being looked at as a technology suitable for servers, especially when performance is relevant (such as in database servers).

All this to say that your perspective is, IMHO, severely restrictive. Probably to that has contributed the fact that you linked to an article posted in 2008 and we are in 2013. In any technological area, 5 years is a huge amount of time. For a new, then developing technology, such as SSDs, it feels like a lifetime.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I didn't even look at the date of the article.....Thanks ruirib for the heads up.

Thanks
    The early days of SSDs were beset by buggy controllers, such that user unhappiness occurred.

Like "the cloud", SSDs are getting more reliable by the year and quite soon should be fit for purpose. Your Kilometreage May Vary...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I apologize if I created any contention or perpetuated any misinformation. Of course you guys know better. As I stated, that was just my impression, not necessarily a definitive perspective.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard3 View Post
    I apologize if I created any contention or perpetuated any misinformation. Of course you guys know better. As I stated, that was just my impression, not necessarily a definitive perspective.
    You did not and there is no need to apologize for anything.

All mass storage technologies have problems of their own (how many regular hard drives fail?). SSDs are a technology that is increasing in availability and is improving in reliability. I think you will do fine whatever the use you put your SSD through (well, don't stress test it ).

If I could justify the expense, I would replace my 512 GB desktop hard drive by a 512 GB SSD. Wouldn't think twice about doing it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Gerard, I am on the other side of the spectrum as Rui. I am very conservative when it comes to recommending SSDs. Some people have had problems with SSDs when they have tried to use them on their computer; however, others haven't had any problems. Also, SSDs are more expensive than traditional hard drives; however, they are also a lot faster than traditional hard drives.

What I plan on doing one of these days (when I get some money!) is to get an SSD and use it as my system drive, while keeping my programs and data on a traditional hard drive. In this way, the programs, and especially the data, are on the more reliable storage medium; whereas the stuff that is continually accessed (the Windows stuff) is on the faster medium.

Of course, it goes without saying that you should do regular backups in case of any sort of drive failure.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Gerard, I am on the other side of the spectrum as Rui. I am very conservative when it comes to recommending SSDs. Some people have had problems with SSDs when they have tried to use them on their computer; however, others haven't had any problems. Also, SSDs are more expensive than traditional hard drives; however, they are also a lot faster than traditional hard drives.

What I plan on doing one of these days (when I get some money!) is to get an SSD and use it as my system drive, while keeping my programs and data on a traditional hard drive. In this way, the programs, and especially the data, are on the more reliable storage medium; whereas the stuff that is continually accessed (the Windows stuff) is on the faster medium.

Of course, it goes without saying that you should do regular backups in case of any sort of drive failure.
    Thank you, Jim. Yes, I certainly have observed in the course of my Windows shopping how though many rave about the SSD's, there are a significant number who rant. I realize that such reviews, for whatever they are worth, also extend to various hard drives. Oh, and I do so relate about the money issue... . For some time, I've reconciled my grocery budget to obtain wholesome but humble foods to accomodate my acquisition of these computer components. And then I shop very carefully
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2013-08-01 at 22:09. Reason: speling