1. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2010 SP2 update problems

The update for Office 2010 SP2 kicked in last week and has presented a number of issues for us. Due to historic spreadsheets and the need for Access 2003, we currently have our PCs setup with Word 2003, Excel 2003, PowerPoint 2003, Access 2003 and Outlook 2010.

Everything was working well until the SP2 update came along.

After the update, if you look at what is available for use in the Office 2010 setup, it lists Access 2010, Excel 2010, Word 2010, PowerPoint 2010, SharePoint 2010, Publisher 2010 - even though we have never asked the Office setup to allow these applicatiosn on the PC - they were specifically marked as 'Do not run from this compuer' when we setup the Outlook 2010 installation.

As well as displaying these in the background, the more problematic issue is that when we click on a Word document (.doc), Word 2003 opens, but the document does not. When we click on an Access icon to open a database it throws an error that a DLL is missing.

We removed the applications in the Office 2010 setup which we do not require.
    Going into Word 2003 and doing a repair fixed the issue with documents not opening.
    We had to change the file association for the MDB files so that they pointed back to Access 2003.

On the whole, this update really screwed out setup and has caused lots of time spend repairing an issue which should never have occurred.

Did anyone else suffer any problems - and more particularly know of an uninstall process which will actually allow us to get back to where we were without trawling around all of the PCs affected?

Painful!
    John

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 989 Posts
    We have had a few reports of SP2 related issues, but it is probably too soon to actually evaluate how many people have been impacted by such issues:

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ffice-2010-SP2

Unfortunately I am not aware of a quick way to fix your issues. If you look at the changes in Outlook 2010, the only that are relevant to you, considering your setup, maybe not applying SP2 is an option: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2687455
    Rui
    -------
    R4

4. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Rui
    I'll keep an eye on the list of SP2 related issues.
    Trying to manage an environment where there are a mix of Office versions has always been a bit of an issue, but nothing has wrecked the setup more than this simple update. It's hard to see, from the additional functionality/correcttions, how it warrants a whole service pack number to itself!

I'd still be interested in anyone's comments if they had similar issues to ours

Regards

John

5. Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 989 Posts
    I agree that it makes no sense to update products you don't have installed. Not enough testing on MS part? Can't really find a better explanation.

I know this doesn't help solving your problem, sorry.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

6. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a question about your UPDATE. If everything was working fine why did you allow an update in the first place ? Old saying "If it not broken don't fix it."
    Why did you not shut off automatic update ?t
    Why are you mixing 2010 with 2003 version ?
    Doe not seem to work..When it did happen, why did you not revert /restore back to previous status before the upgrade.??
    What Windows are you using ??
    I assume you have the original disks for Office 2003, so why not just install the damage programs ??
    Please don't take the questions the wrong way, but for what ever reason, if you don't need a update then I would pick and choose the upgrades that become available and only IF you need them. Only after at lease 6 months after release.

You may want to consider having a tech person on site to assist you with you computer issues.

7. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not taking it wrongly - I asked the same questions of both myself and the others involved in the update routines.

The mix of Office 2003 & 2010 components came because of some people thinking that new is best - and has been a tide I've been trying to fight against for a long time. We have a number of systems which rely on links with old versions of Access & Excel, hence my wish to stick with 2003 at present. Finding that someone had turned on the auto-update process across the site was not a happy day for me!

Totally agree with the "if it's not broken...." - but working in a team doesn't always give the outcome we would wish. At home I update my machine long after update releases; it's not so easy when others are pushing for something else.

Generally using Windows XP, though moving across to Windows 7 over the coming months.

As Rui said further back in the thread, it doesn't make any sense for Microsoft to update modules which aren't even installed, which points to a lack of testing, but I guess Microsoft would be more than happy to move people from the older versions of Office. When we all get pushed into Office 365, they have a continuous revenue stream from a product that isn't necessarily giving us anything more than we already need for our general use.

In this case too many tech persons have well and truely spoilt the broth!

John

8. Administrator
    Thanks
    I understand the reluctance and agree with prudence in installing a service pack when there are many machines involved. BUT, the "if its not broken..." mantra has the potential to get you in big trouble with software. There are reasons that Google, Mozilla, & now Microsoft automatically update their browsers. One of the big reasons is that left alone most users don't patch systems that have security problems. The same thing about not applying updates to complex suites such as Office. Just because something appears to be "not broken" does not mean there are not problems. Many of the biggest reported security problems were avoidable because patches were available but systems were not updated. While you may never run into the situations covered in updates if you do have a security breach and you had a the means to prevent it how would you feel?

I think that you got the updates for the other Office applications because of the way that Microsoft services Office now. All the files needed to service Office are kept on the target system in the MSOcache folder. I think that is regardless of whether they are currently available to be run or not. You seldom, if ever, need the Office installation media after the initial install with newer Office versions. However, creating icons and making the applications available is definitely a bug in the install package. This is definitely worth a call to Microsoft. I'm pretty sure that support calls for service pack installation problems are free.

Joe

9. New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same issue: fake folders appearing after SP1 of Office. Solution was to disable Norton Spam, it works
    André
    It would be nice if computers were designed to HELP users, not to frustrate users...

10. New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaf90 View Post
    Did anyone else suffer any problems - and more particularly know of an uninstall process which will actually allow us to get back to where we were without trawling around all of the PCs affected?
    Hi John,

Fortunately, as of Office 2010, service packs can be uninstalled without removing the entire product. Tried this tool yet? Works fine for me: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...ffice.14).aspx

Cheers,
    Jonas