Lounger
    Thanks

Question Video card mishap, help!

My ATI Radeon HD 5450 that I got yesterday ran like a dream, driver installation with the AMD auto detection tool went smooth, and everything. But I was messing with some settings, and I accidentally set it to use GPU for something. Anyways, my screen suddenly went wonky and I got a message saying OUT OF FREQUENCY or OUT OF RANGE or something, then POWER MANAGEMENT followed by a COUNTDOWN. When the countdown reaches 0, the monitor automatically shuts off.

I uninstalled the drivers for the card to see if that would help, but when I put the card back in this morning, I got the same message right after the STARTING WINDOWS screen on Windows 7. Any way I can fix this??????
    Last edited by Magik; 2013-08-01 at 11:05.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried booting in safe mode and changing settings or using system restore, from safe mode?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, I booted into Safe Mode which took a few tries with Windows 7 The process is different. You have to hit BIOS first, and then boot into Safe Mode with F8 from there. Anyways, while in Safe Mode I uninstalled the Radeon Main Driver. Then rebooted, and re-installed the card and its drivers and stuff again. Then rebooted again post-driver/card install...and now things are fine, the card is running like a dream, and no frequency/range warnings. All good here, thanks Ruirib!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Great, you're welcome .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    For future reference, you could have also booted into VGA mode (it's not called that in Windows 7, it was called that in Windows 3.1!) rather than into Safe mode. This would have disabled your Radeon driver, but all else would have been enabled.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    And be careful going forward, this usually means the monitor does not support all the resolutions that the card can and if you hit one it can't, poof, out of range. I have a couple that I must remember to apply a resolution (rather than OK) and wait 15 seconds for the settings to revert if I get the out of range message. I have a couple games that can set different starting resolutions...poof, bye bye game visuals; have to find a monitor that isn't so picky to reset the game resolution.

Thanks
    It might be an idea to find and download the installer *.inf for the actual monitor in use and use that to update the driver for the monitor in Device Manager.