2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 streams to TV, but Win8 won't

My Win7 and Win8 computers are attached to the same router (Cisco, wired & wi-fi). They can exchange files and see each other on the Homegroup. My LG Blu-Ray player has wi-fi and can find and play multimedia files from the Win7 computer, but not the Win8 computer. It finds the Win8 machine, but says I am denied access, or something to that effect. I have set the appropriate folders (with multimedia) to share on both computers. I am obviously missing some trick that applies only to Win8. Any ideas as to what else I must do to make the Win8 stream to the Blu-Ray?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The only thing I've ever come across in this respect is a security module gets installed along with Microsoft Live Essentials that blocks media players and other less sophisticated, non-Windows network devices looking for shared media. I've never tried to use Win 8 in the manner you are so I don't know if it's could be something similar or something completely different, but maybe it'll give you some insight.
    Maybe there is a bit more of a permissions issue with Win8 in Homegroup mode and will only share properly with a non-Homegroup device if using user accounts instead.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FUN - Thanks. I previously had trouble getting the Win7 machine to read the Win8 machine, but finally reset the permissions (multiple times, as I recall) and got it to work. I tried setting up a non-Homegroup network, but the OS simply wouldn't give me that option. This latter problem was particularly vexing, as I don't have any idea why it wouldn't work. You are probably right that there is still some kind of security thing that needs to be set. I just haven't found it yet.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    See Stream to devices and PCs using Windows Media Player for instructions on turning on home media streaming in Windows 8.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe - Thank you. The title suggests that this is what I need. I will look at it now.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, the MS instructions for streaming failed. I went through each step. At the end there is a "stream to" button to select. It says "no media devices found." The frustrating thing is that Win7 does this with no effort at all. Win8 seems to be a totally different product that is not willing to do what appears to me to be a simple task.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops... I wrote too soon. Although my Win8 computer would not show a connection, when I tried going to the Blu-Ray box and looking for media sources, it worked this time. I was at least able to locate and show my photos on the TV.

I am a happy camper again. Thanks again to Joe. Apparently something that I did when I followed the MS instructions worked.

Resolved.

Thanks
    Click on the Thanks icon under his post to give him an official thanks recognition.

Jerry