Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Any SATA data cable connection shorts power for startup

This is an older system (Athlon 4000+ processor vintage) but it runs great. However I just added a SATA drive to the mix and if the data cable is plugged into any one of the 4 ports, the system will not even give me a flash of power. If nothing is plugged in to a SATA port, starts right up. Also, if I start the system and then quickly plug in the SATA data cable, the drive it's attached to will boot right up and perform normally.
    The power/switch/indicator pin outs are covered by a single unified plug block so I don't think there could be a mistake there.

So if anyone has run across this before, maybe a BIOS setting or a possible pin short I'm missing? Otherwise I'm stumped and will have to just make do with IDE connections.

Thanks
    Switch SATA cables, switch SATA power feed, set the BIOS to defaults - these are a few testing steps that spring to mind.

It's possible that a weak PSU would give similar results, if the initial power draw for starting the drives (~16W each) is too much for it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya I'm mixin' and matchin' trying to find something that works. There is no issue with power to the drive and the rest of the system as long as the data cable is left unplugged, which is new but I'll dig out another one.

Thanks
    It reads like something that may be restricted to a particular 'board or OEM makers' model#, and/or a specific BIOS version; it could be worth searching for others with similar issues/hardware.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have search some without success, just a firmware problem with a different make drive as the only real hit. Problem is this system is so old and I never tried to use the SATA ports until now, so this could have been a problem from day one and I never knew about it. I'm also going to try and find a jumper to limit the drive to 150 even though that doesn't seem relatable to what seems a cutoff situation.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Changed power supply, that seems to have done the trick. Some feedback short to the PS or maybe it is getting weak and right at a critical threshold? All I had on hand was a 20 pin but it doesn't seem to mind.

Thanks
    Good work; best get a suitable, quality PSU for it now, I look for SeaSonic/XFX.