New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Differences in CMD between XP and Windows

Yesterday I spent a lot of time being frustrated. I had a CD, and wanted simply to make an editable text copy of the file list on it. I have used CMD for ages to do that, e.g., in CMD: DIR *.*/s > list.txt. This has always worked like a charm. I knew that I would not be able to write this txt file to the CD, so I tried variations of (assuming the CD is the E drive)
    E:
    dir *.*/s /b >c:\temp\list.txt

Using other, writable discs, has never presented a problem. However, whatever I tried (and I tried a lot of different things), I always got the response:
    "Access Denied".

Searching Google, the only suggestions I got were similar to what I had already tried, with one exception: none of them mentioned XP. With this clue, I tried the same command on my laptop, running Windows 7, and it worked like a charm.

Now my questions... Are there any other differences between CMD as it is in XP and Windows 7. Is there any place to find this list. Anything I find only lists of the commands themselves, with no further information.

I know, this might be a minor issue, but I certainly wasted a lot of time on it!

Alan126

Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge, Alan.

Individual commands and their switches do change (and new ones added) from one Windows version to the next; it's called progress, I guess - but in my book, only if the commands also become more controllable, ie = better, with it.

Some pages that may help or give you further clues as to where to search for definitive articles/lists:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=WS.10%29.aspx
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DOS_commands

Thanks
    Have you got a \temp directory on the C: drive? Do you have the permissions to write to it?

The main difference between XP and Windows 7 (and Vista before it) is the structure of \Documents and Settings which is 'real' in XP but mapped onto C:\Users in Windows 7. There are many other mappings - have a look at the attached document.

User Profiles - where Documents and Settings folders are now located in Win7 and WS2008.doc

For a list of commands, open a Command Prompt window and type HELP, then press Enter!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks satrow and BATcher for the suggestions. The most on-target suggestion was the url
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true.
    The others I had already visited.
    Even this site didn't give me the info I was really looking for, but at least I now know where to start looking.
    I also now where to look for help in general -- this forum!
    Alan126

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Focus on this rather than the command:

Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Have you got a \temp directory on the C: drive? Do you have the permissions to write to it?
    Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello to all again

I guess I should have thought of this before, but the idea struck me today. If I run CMD as Administrator, the commands
    E:
    dir *.*/s /b >c:\temp\list.txt

work perfectly.
    No, it will not create a directory if it doesn't already exist.

Thanks again for your advice

Alan