3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hibernation Menu

Win 7 X64 desktop machine. Hibernation is set after 30 minutes in Control Panel / Power Options / Advanced Options, and it works just fine. The machine wakes up in 'Resuming Windows' mode. When I look at the Start Shutdown options I only have "Switch, Log Off, Lock, Restart, Sleep" - there is no Hibernate option, therefore no way of forcing immediate hibernation. Suggestions appreciated
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Desktops use Hybrid Sleep by default, rather than Hibernate:

What's the difference between sleep, hibernate, and hybrid sleep?

Sleep is a power-saving state that allows a computer to quickly resume full-power operation (typically within several seconds) when you want to start working again. Putting your computer into the sleep state is like pausing a DVD player—the computer immediately stops what it’s doing and is ready to start again when you want to resume working.

Hibernation is a power-saving state designed primarily for laptops. While sleep puts your work and settings in memory and draws a small amount of power, hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk, and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. On a laptop, use hibernation when you know that you won't use your laptop for an extended period and won't have an opportunity to charge the battery during that time.

Hybrid sleep is designed primarily for desktop computers. Hybrid sleep is a combination of sleep and hibernate—it puts any open documents and programs in memory and on your hard disk, and then puts your computer into a low-power state so that you can quickly resume your work. That way, if a power failure occurs, Windows can restore your work from your hard disk. When hybrid sleep is turned on, putting your computer into sleep automatically puts your computer into hybrid sleep. Hybrid sleep is typically turned on by default on desktop computers

Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions (Applies to Windows 7)

If you want to use Hibernate instead, you need to disable Hybrid Sleep:

Control Panel, Power Settings, Change plan settings, Change advanced power settings, Sleep, Allow hybrid sleep, Off:

Cannot See Hibernation Option Start Menu Power Button In Windows 7 Even After Enable Hibernation

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2013-08-02 at 16:30.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

dpollock (2013-08-02)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bruce. I did not realise that allowing hybrid sleep caused the problem. Now fixed with you excellent help

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't use hibernation, but the idea of hybrid sleep sounds good.
    However, when I go into sleep in the power options I don't have 'Allow Hybrid Sleep' as an option. this is on W7x64 desktop.

Any ideas why this is missing?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Control Panel Power Options, you need to 'Change Plan Settings' then 'Change Advanced Power Settings' to see the hibernation & Sleep options?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No. I needed to run powercfg -h on to reload hibernation ability, then 'Allow Hybrid Sleep' shows up.
    (Just found this in an earlier post)

Thanks anyway.