Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows/Temp folder is huge(80gb)

Lately , I noticed that my computer was really filled up ... and I also noticed it was getting filled up from files being generated in the temp folder
    As I searched , I noticed that the temp folder was filled up with many files , but a bunch of text files (8 to 20 mb each) were the main cause of it being very huge
    their names are : KB*************Microsoft .NET Framework 4 ***-MSP0.txt
    and also KB*************Microsoft .NET Framework 4 ***-MSP0.html(but are 60kb each) ...
    all of these text files form up to make 75 gb of my temp file which is very annoying

Note: i noticed these *.txt files were generating since 2011(just a month after i bought the computer) by a rate of 4 files every 2 days

SO my question is : Is it safe to delete them ? I mean they are just *.txt files

I'm sorry if my english is not very good and I would appreciate any help

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The text files are OK to delete. I'm not sure why .net framework is depositing them with such frequency though. I have seen this happen before but it does not happen on mine.

Thanks
    I clean ALL temp files regularly, including Temp Internet Files. Regular maintenance can help to speed things up and free up a lot of space. In fact I have a Clean up batch file I use at Boot that automatically cleans all these temp files and runs the Windows Disk Cleanup app on steroids.

Code:
    @Echo off
    cls
    cleanmgr /sageset:65535
    del /F /S /Q  "%systemroot%\temp\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\*.*

::Rem:  No need to duplicate the following section for each registered User
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Cookies\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\recent\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\cookies\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\History\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

del /F /S /Q "C:\$Recycle.Bin.Bin\*.*" 

del /F /S /Q "C:\Recycled\*.*"

cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    Note: The sageset line (highlighted in red) can be deleted after the initial run because it remains set.

This will run many more cleanup sections than the normal Cleanup Manager. Just put a checkmark on everything you wish to delete. I check mark everything myself.

Simply paste this code into Notepad, then Save As a .bat file on your desktop. The first time you run it, it may take a while to complete.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-08-03 at 07:32.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help
    I tried to delete the text files and everything was okay...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a bit of explanation: The KB*.NET Framework*.txt files are the installation logs from .NET Framework patches applied by Windows Update. The only reason to keep any one of them is if Windows Update notifies you that a patch failed to install, and if you want to find out what error caused the failure. The logs are hard to read, so the corresponding .html file will show a summary in your web browser. If lots of patches fail to install, a tech would want to examine the big log files to find out what's going wrong.

Once an update patch has successfully installed, there's no reason to keep these files any longer, and it won't damage anything to delete them.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I clean ALL temp files regularly, including Temp Internet Files. Regular maintenance can help to speed things up and free up a lot of space. In fact I have a Clean up batch file I use at Boot that automatically cleans all these temp files and runs the Windows Disk Cleanup app on steroids.

Code:
    @Echo off
    cls
    cleanmgr /sageset:65535
    del /F /S /Q  "%systemroot%\temp\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\*.*
    del /F /S /Q  "C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History\*.*

::Rem:  No need to duplicate the following section for each registered User
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Cookies\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\recent\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\cookies\*.*"

del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\History\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temp\*.*"
    del /F /S /Q  "%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\*.*"

del /F /S /Q "C:\$Recycle.Bin.Bin\*.*" 

del /F /S /Q "C:\Recycled\*.*"

cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    Note: The sageset line (highlighted in red) can be deleted after the initial run because it remains set.

This will run many more cleanup sections than the normal Cleanup Manager. Just put a checkmark on everything you wish to delete. I check mark everything myself.

Simply paste this code into Notepad, then Save As a .bat file on your desktop. The first time you run it, it may take a while to complete.
    So Medicio, I imagine this file you made is better than using CCleaner or SlimCleaner?

Thanks for the info............Glenda

Thanks
    I also use CCleaner regularly as it finds things that I might have missed. I generally only use the Registry cleaner after an app uninstall to find leftovers, but the temp file cleaner is used regularly.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks

what systems will it work on?

Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I also use CCleaner regularly as it finds things that I might have missed. I generally only use the Registry cleaner after an app uninstall to find leftovers, but the temp file cleaner is used regularly.
    Will this work on the XP system. I have used it on Win 7 Pro and it works great and seems to run faster than when it was new. But my sister-in-law has the old XP and I plan on installing it on her machine.
    Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Cleaning temporary files is fine, registry cleaning is not. Cleaning the registry may result in things not behaving if the cleaner gets it wrong. If you must clean the registry make sure you have an image backup first.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul T, but will his code work on an XP machine. I'm not that techie. Thanks again

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes the code is valid in XP.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    CCleaner seems to work well for me at cleaning Temp files and Registry errors ( I uncheck a few things on the Temp & registry part ). The nice thing on the registry checker is that CCleaner always ask's if you want to make a backup of the files being deleted, which I do, and if no problems come up within a month, I delete the old Reg. saves.
    BUT as Paul T recommends, I always have an image backup just in case.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the help. I tried to load the code on her computer and couldn't even get windows to come up. Had to reload XP from disk for her. It seems to be running ok for now.
    Thanks again to all that helped.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My problem seems to be similar however my system files almost doubled. It is on parents win 7 machine. Went from 180 gb to almost 500 gb in about 2 weeks? They don't d/l video files, they do have a lot of jpegs but they are around 4-5mb each. When I defrag using defraggler they show as unmovable system files, before this sudden increase they were shown at the front of the harddrive. Any ideas on the sudden increase?

Thanks in advance for your reply,
    g3b

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need to use Treesize free to show you what directories contain the most files and what files are largest. When you find out let us know what is using the space.

cheers, Paul

p.s. It's worth starting a new thread for a new topic, next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast