New Lounger
    Thanks

Connecting Monitor To New-Style Super-Slim Laptops

I have been perusing touch-screen laptops, which are really nifty BUT my spidey senses say to be careful, there may be no way to hook up my external monitor. I have your standard 24" ViewSonic 1080p LED monitor and I'd hate to give it up.The outputs are the standard VGA and that what-is-it DVI thing that no one seems to know about. The monitor plugs right into the VGA port of my 3-year-old Acer laptop.

At Costco today, it appears HPs didn't have a VGA port and only some of the Acer models had it. Per CNET, I might be able to use the VGA via a dongle. Hmmm. The Toshibas - I didn't see any but online looking wasn't encouraging.

Do I need to "grow up" and just use a new laptop as is and do away with the monitor? (Yes, I realize my monitor is not a touch-screen.) And external speaker port - I wasn't looking for them but these laptops do have them, right?

Acer vs HP vs Dell vs Toshiba - any significant downside with Acer? (BTW, I'm an iPad and smart phone junkie, so I'm not entirely without computer knowledge.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I would say to look for an HDMI or mini-HDMI port, former preferred since it doesn't require an adapter to convert to full HDMI. You can purchase HDMI to DVI cables that should work with your monitor and I'ts been my experience that Acer is quite acceptable, more utilitarian than super slick, and more often carries a standard HDMI port and 1080P is perfect for HDMI [to DVI] since that's it's native resolution.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! I have since found HDMI-to-VGA adapters (dongles) online. I did not know about the mini-HDMI ports - I'll have to research. Thanks for the heads-up.

My ACER is doing OK, though it needs a thorough cleanout. The main reason for looking for one of those fancy 8 GB / 1 Tb lightweights is weight. My shoulder notices the heft when traveling through airports and tossing the bag into the overhead compartment. The other reason is speed. I have another machine with Windows 8, so I know the mess I would be getting myself into.

My iPad is for social media, books, news and entertainment, and the laptop is to actually DO things.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CanTex View Post
    Thanks! I have since found HDMI-to-VGA adapters (dongles) online.
    Those will have to have a big(ish) converter box somewhere in the line and are probably 10 or 20 times the cost of a HDMI to DVI cable, which is a simple line for line conversion (except for the audio) that will give you a slightly sharper display than VGA.