5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Problems with getting to Bank statements once signed on

We have two new Win 8 laptops. When my wife signs in to our bank to get printed statements, everything is okay, until she actually clicks on the link to get access to the printed statement. For some reason, at this point it would appear that she gets hijacked, a "Search" screen shows up with a URL of http://search.conduit.com... etc. and she is unable to get to the bank statement.

On my machine, there is no problem getting to the bank statement - all appears to work as expected.

Can anyone shed some light on what is happening on my wife's machine? How do we fix it, because as far as the Bank is concerned, the problem is at our end and not theirs, which makes sense because I can get there and do the necessary banking stuff from my machine.

I have tried the same "process" on an older Win 7 desktop and it works as expected.

Any insight that anyone can provide will be graciously appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ron M

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Try removing it from her programs and browser: Search.conduit.com (Uninstall Guide)

Bruce

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    If that doesn't completely resolve the problem you may need to install an integrated PDF reader like FoxIt; that's what I need to get access to print my statements.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Try removing it from her programs and browser: Search.conduit.com (Uninstall Guide)

Bruce
    Bruce, thanks we will give it a try and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    If that doesn't completely resolve the problem you may need to install an integrated PDF reader like FoxIt; that's what I need to get access to print my statements.
    Not sure what you mean by "integrated". Adobe Reader is already on her computer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bruce
    Bruce, thanks for your help. I was able to rid this "infection" from my machine following some of the instructions that you posted. So far, so good.

Now I just have to find out why Norton did not catch this.

Ron M

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post

Not sure what you mean by "integrated". Adobe Reader is already on her computer.
    Just means it works with whatever browser you're using. Adobe reader will do it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Just means it works with whatever browser you're using. Adobe reader will do it.
    Thanks. This piece of malware kept getting in the way - I have no idea how it got on her computer, unless it came in as some sort of stealth operation, because my wife is not someone to download something without checking with me first - I'm the in-house techie support. As soon as we got rid of this %^&*#@# crap, Adobe worked just fine.

Ron M

Thanks
    It's hard to tell where this came from. This is the second instance in the last week where someone talked about conduit. It might have tagged along on something else, or perhaps a pop up was activated that installed it.

I might suggest going into Manage Add-ons and adding some Tracking Protection if you have not already done so. These also add Ad Blocking. Here is what mine looks like. Open the Manage Add-ons, go to the Tracking Protection section, and click on add tracking protection, then choose those that seem most appropriate for you.

TrackingProtection.jpg

If an unexpected pop up shows up with one of these "offers", it is sometimes best to close it using the Task Manager (ctrl+alt+del) to close the questionable pop up.

Note: as a sidebar, I do not use Adobe Reader as it's security and resource use leaves a lot to be desired. A third party PDF reader is more suited to my needs. I happen to use PDF-Xchange Viewer, and Foxit Reader has already been mentioned. Others have also spoken highly of Nitro Reader.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-08-04 at 07:32.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi - my experience not so long ago was the opposite of yours. I couldn't access the actual statement page from within Firefox,
    and needed to switch to IE10 - installed without my say so! - but things have improved since then, except I don't know how
    or why!

I truly dislike IE10 for its slowness.

George

Thanks
    Sorry, but I find IE 10 as quick or quicker than the others. Just shows that each specific PC is different, and what works best on one is not always what will work best on another.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rokerman39 View Post
    Hi - my experience not so long ago was the opposite of yours. I couldn't access the actual statement page from within Firefox,
    and needed to switch to IE10 - installed without my say so! - but things have improved since then, except I don't know how
    or why!

I truly dislike IE10 for its slowness.

George
    In the UK, First Direct bank's Internet Plus service wouldn't run properly in FF or IE. Their techies told me I had to use the 32-bit IE, which I found under all programs. That did work - but is the only time I use IE !

Tim (Win7 Home Premium)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree that IE10 is fast (definitely faster than Firefox) .. and I have absolutely no trouble accessing First Direct using Win7-32bit-IE10
    Last edited by CloudCatcher; 2013-08-09 at 12:20.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudCatcher View Post
    I agree that IE10 is fast (definitely faster than Firefox) .. and I have absolutely no trouble accessing First Direct using Win7-32bit-IE10
    Yes, when not using the default 64-bit on now-standard 64-bit OS. Do you use FD's Internet Plus service? This is where all one's credit cards, savings accounts etc with different banks are presented on one page with access to all without filling in complex passwords etc? This is where other browsers (including IE 64-bit) have failed. May have changed since I stumbled a year ago.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timsinc View Post
    Yes, when not using the default 64-bit on now-standard 64-bit OS.
    64-bit is not the default, even for IE10 (except Windows 8 Metro):

How to Enable 64-bit Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 7

Bruce

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bruce
    Bruce, I am not sure if it is a coincidence or not, but ever since I downloaded (and paid for) the "SpyHunter" to rid my wife's computer of the "conduit" interloper, we have a number of inexplicable problems:
    1. Her video has disappeared - can see the "blank screen" and the video "plays" as we can hear the sound, but no picture.
    2. Her Bluetooth has gone away and I don't know why and I don't seem to be able to find out how to get it back.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Ron M