Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

External USB Connected Hard Disk Not Detected By Macrium Reflect Rescue CD

Most of my backup images are stored on an external usb connected hard drive. I have a number of Macrium images on that drive, and Macrium has no problem using it as the destination drive for backups. I can mount and unmount the images with Macrium with no problem. However, when I boot from the Macrium PE3 rescue cd to restore an image the drive concerned is not listed. According to Macrium I need to scan for a driver for the USB Controller VEN_IB21 DEV_1042, but I have no idea what folder to scan. Presumably it's somewhere in System 32.

It is particularly important for me to be able to restore images from the drive concerned, because they include backups of my late partner's videos and photos. (She died on 23 July and I am heartbroken enough without having to face the prospect of losing such precious memories).

I am using the latest 64 bit version of Macrium Reflect Professional Edition, 5.2.6354.

If anyone can tell me how to resolve this problem I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Go to the following website to learn how to find the device driver based on the "VEN" and "DEV" numbers you have listed above:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/4631...evice-drivers/

They fully explain the process.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It's not a USB 3 port by chance is it? The boot disc should have no problem with USB 2.0 but might not see a USB 3 connection.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Roy,

Just out of curiosity is the USB HD USB 3.0 and do you have it connected to a USB 3.0 port?

I know my Wife's Dell XPS 14z does not recognize the USB 3.0 port until windows boots. Thus, it can't be used to boot from. You may be suffering from the same problem. Her computer boots just fine from the USB 2.0 port. BTW I have Macrium Pro on both USB thumb drive and on a bootable partition of a USB HD and both work but only from USB 2.0 ports and even after booting from the Macrium media it will still not see the USB 3.0 port. The trick is to get the right driver baked into the Win PE environment before you burn the CD/USB recovery media. I still haven't figured that out yet. However, my new Dell XPS 8700 desktop boots fine from the USB 3.0 ports, I guess there is better firmware on the newer machine for supporting USB 3.0. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies. Odd as it may seem, although I know I have USB 3 and USB 2 ports on the back of my tower I don't know which type the external drive is connected to. That's because I had a cataract removed from the back of my left eye, and since then I find it difficult to see close up, apart from which because of space restrictions the tower is in an awkward position. (If I have trouble connecting a device my local computer technician comes to the rescue).

Having said that, Macrium Support suggested I try creating a Win PE 4.0 rescue CD, and when I booted from that the images on the external drive were detected and I was able to restore an image successfully. (Macrium Support has always been excellent).
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

New Lounger
    Thanks

This solution also works for Lenovo W520

Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Odd as it may seem, although I know I have USB 3 and USB 2 ports on the back of my tower I don't know which type the external drive is connected to. That's because I had a cataract removed from the back of my left eye, and since then I find it difficult to see close up, apart from which because of space restrictions the tower is in an awkward position. (If I have trouble connecting a device my local computer technician comes to the rescue).

Having said that, Macrium Support suggested I try creating a Win PE 4.0 rescue CD, and when I booted from that the images on the external drive were detected and I was able to restore an image successfully. (Macrium Support has always been excellent).
    I had the same problem on my Lenovo W520 and I am glad I read this discussion: it also worked for me.