5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bank transactions download to Quicken

I don't know where I should ask this question so I'll start here and maybe someone can direct me or try to answer my problem.

I have been regularly downloading transaction records from my bank account to quicken, but I had knee surgery a few months ago and didn't do the downloads for 3-4 months. When I tried to catch up I found that the downloads work for only a 2-month span and I had missed more time than that. I need to find a way to get this older data into quicken and I'm looking for suggestions. When I ask the online bank account to display the transactions for the whole time period, the data is displayed fine, so it is there in their database.

Thanks,
    Bill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How have you been doing the downloads? Were you having Quicken do the downloads itself, or were you manually downloading the transactions yourself and then importing them into Quicken? If the former, then try the latter.

To do the latter, go to your bank's site in a web browser and look for a link to download activity or transactions. In most cases you'll be prompted to pick a date range and then select an option to download the transactions in .qif format. Download the .qif file to your desktop. Next, open Quicken, select the matching account, then find the function to import a .qif file.

Quicken has a nasty habit of rearranging their menus every year and even renaming some menu selections, so I can't be more specific on where the import function might be on whatever version you're using.

Also note some bank websites may limit the download time span to 60 days or 90 days at a time, in which case you'd need to split the downloads into two contiguous time spans and import both .qif files into Quicken. It sounds like you're saying Quicken's automated download retrieved recent transactions, though, and there's not more than 60-90 days you're trying to fill in, so one .qif download covering the missing time span may be enough.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you can't download all the data you will have to scrape the data from the screen (copy / paste) and then write your own file. To work out the format you only need to download 2 entries and then open the file in Notepad to see how the format.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    That is strange because I had a problem and wiped out a problem account from Quicken, then added the account back in and downloaded several months worth of data from the financial institution. What version of Quicken are you using? I use Quicken Deluxe 2012 at present. Could this be a limitation at your bank? You might try to contact the bank and ask them the question. Most banks that have an online presence have people available to answer these questions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    dg1261, I have been letting Quicken do the downloading from the bank. So, earlier yesterday I tried logging into the bank and getting it to export the data and it did that but it saved it in a .qfx file! Quicken didn't know what to do with that file when I tried to import it. I'll go back and try again and try one of the other export formats -- the ones that did not look correct to me yesterday and maybe one of them is the correct one.

Paul T, I believe I can follow your suggestion if I don't succeed with the more automatic approach.

Medico, I have Quicken Deluxe 2013 so it certainly should be recent enough. I'll keep trying and I'm sure I'll get it worked out one way or the other.

Thanks to all 3 of you for your suggestions.
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was able to find the correct export format to use to update my Quicken bank account transactions manually. Now, I want to do a new automatic update to the bank account to make sure that mechanism is working again and I can't figure out how to initiate that transfer! I guess I've forgotten how or Quicken is no longer giving me a path to do that. When I initiate an automatic update in Quicken I get a pop-up window with all my credit card accounts listed but no bank account! I'm able to initiate a single credit card update or all of them together but I can't select the bank account. In the results window there is an error message with the bank account entry that says there was a problem connecting to the bank account. I may have to go to the bank and ask them if they can solve the problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, they will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill