Gold Lounger
    Thanks

PC SSD Caching ..A better use?

Hello All,

Of late i have been reading how some PC's are now using SSD's to boot faster using some software and a SSD cache .. sounded interesting... Thinking about it... i remembered that my wife has a notebook with one , so i decided to investigate .. After a few glasses of wine and putting up my "metal lathe" as collateral she agreed to let me have a look ... and do some experimenting ..Here are the results...and comments

1. Yes the PC did have a SSD although a small one (SanDisk 25GB) And yes it did boot up fast the Win 7-64 pro OS on the traditional 500 GB HD..But i thought it was kind of a waste of a perfectly good SSD..I mean who cares if it takes 5 sec's or 25 sec's to boot.The SSD was only using a few hundred MB's of it's 25GB

2. Also to my horror they both were formatted GPT...I hate GPT..After Imaging both drives with Macrium and Acronis (storing Them off PC) I proceeded to re-format them MBR, dividing the 500 GB HD..into a 65 GB for OS and a 400GB for data ( First Step) Then placing the OS Image back to the now 65 GB MBR .. How exactly ..another topic

3. Next problem was to "slim down" the bloated 7-64 Pro OS from it's original 35GB overhead, so i could try to install it to the SSD

4. Managed to shave it down so that it would "Just squeeze on " the SSD , and "Imaged" it . exactly how....topic for another thread

5. Installed the now smaller "Image" on the SSD. Re-Booted and hoped for the best.. After an initial "MBR Boot repair ( repair disk) " the PC booted into the 65GB partition's OS .. Installed EasyBCD and now tried to boot the SSD as a "Dual Boot" OS selecting it at boot time..

6. This worked.!!! so now i had a SSD win 7-64 Pro OS and now could use the larger 500GB HD as a "file cabinet" DATA drive.

7. Lastly i managed to remove even more bloat from the SSD ...so now "she's lean and mean" So I'll leave it up to you to decide ...a better use for a SSD \cache ..or not ..For me the answer is a resounding YES! and boots just as fast as before...only now using the cache as a mSATA drive.. Oh.. and i got my lathe back to boot... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-08-04 at 16:19.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Let us know how it performs over the original SRT setup Fred.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I have yet to delve into SSD at all. Our laptops have 320 GB platter drives and seem fast enough for me for now. Perhaps if I place a SSD drive in I would be amazed, but I have other priorities for my available dollars so for now I will leave my original drives in place. Now if someone had a 256 GB SSD they wanted to donate for experimentation I would be happy to try,
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I have yet to delve into SSD at all. Our laptops have 320 GB platter drives and seem fast enough for me for now. Perhaps if I place a SSD drive in I would be amazed, but I have other priorities for my available dollars so for now I will leave my original drives in place. Now if someone had a 256 GB SSD they wanted to donate for experimentation I would be happy to try,
    You will never want to go back to a regular HDD, Ted .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    You will never want to go back to a regular HDD, Ted .
    Rui,

I'll second Ted's vote of confidence. Having placed one in both my Laptop and Desktop I just love the almost instantaneous boot times and program load times. To paraphrase: "I'll go back to HDD when they pry my SSD from my cold stiff hands!"
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Let us know how it performs over the original SRT setup Fred.

CLiNT,

Hello... Just wanted to update this thread with some results...

1. The SRT (Smart Response Technology ) Is not used in this setup , as the cache (SSD) is now used as the primary HD for the OS... The Windows 7 \ 64 Pro boots (after Log on) almost instantly. anyway.

2. I have left the original 500GB HD as a DATA Drive with the small 65GB Partition for the original OS ... now sort of a working "Recovery"

3. My "Better Half" couldn't be happier with this new system...An SSD OS with a 500GB File Cabinet, for "Doc's" and Pictures , etc.

4. Bottom line .... If you're considering a new PC (Note Book type) get one with a SSD cache, Setup with Windows 7 \ 64 Pro ..Done Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Sweet.
    I was I bit concerned with using such a small drive, but it looks like it works out well enough.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.