Star Lounger
    Thanks

Incorrect Section/Chapter No in Page Numbering

I want to split my Word document into sections/chapters and include these section/chapter numbers in the page numbering and the TOC.

I have set up my Word 2010 document using Shauna Kelly's numbering guidelines, so I have used Word's styles. I have set up my the Multilevel list as per the attached screen shot. (multilevel list)

Everything is working well except for the first occurrence of a Heading 1 heading. I have included a screen shot that shows a portion of the TOC (toc screen shot). The first Heading 1 heading in the document is "Welcome to your XXXX Business System". In the TOC, this heading is numbered 1 (correct), but the page number is 2-1. (incorrect). This TOC screen shot also shows the second Heading 1 heading ("Pre-Opening Procedures") that is numbered 2 (correct), and with the same page number of 2-1, which is correct.

I have checked my section breaks, and include screen shots of:
    - Section break just before the Heading 1 style (screen shot showing section break)
    - Bottom of page with first Heading 1 style (screen shot showing bottom of page) showing page number to be 2-1. It should be 1-1.

I have also attached a screen shot of the page number format (page number format) for the section titled "1 Introduction to your.... "

The first sections of my document are numbered i, ii, iii, etc. The page titled "1 Introduction to your...." is the first section that should be numbered 1-1. All other sections and the appendices are correct in the TOC, and the page footers.

I have had this exact same problem with another document for another client. They were both set up using the same guidelines (and were not copied from each other). I have tried inserting and deleting different section types, page formats, etc. and have got absolutely no where.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure but perhaps this is caused by a tracked revision you can't see. If not, then right click on the page number field and tell us what the field code says.

If you post a cut down example document we should be able to solve this quickly.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Click on the odd section break and check the style: I suspect you'll find that it is Heading 1. If so, change it to Normal so it will no longer be starting your multi-level list.

If you set a style area width (File > Options > Advanced, Display area) you will see the style names listed in Draft and Outline views. This is very useful for reviewing styles because it shows the name on paragraphs that won't yield clues by the formatting.
    Last edited by EricFletcher; 2013-08-05 at 08:50. Reason: clarified the final point

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew

The page number field doesn't reveal anything (just "PAGE"). I have attached a cut-down version of the document.

One fix I thought of was to somehow manually set the page number for that section and subtract one from the section/chapter number, but I'm not very keen on doing that as it's a document for a client and I don't want to do something that may cause someone else grief further on. (That's assuming I work out how to do it in the first place!)

Although this document has been saved as .doc (and I'm used Word 2010), I have another document with exactly the same problem that's been saved as .dotx.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply Eric. The style is "Block Text". It was originally Heading 1 but I changed it a while back. I have posted a cut-up version of the document.

Thanks for the tip on the style names. I don't used Draft or Outline much but this looks like it could be very useful. (Unfortunately it doesn't help me solve this problem though!)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Niki

The problem is how you have set up the earlier matter. You have used a bunch of lower level headings in the front matter so by the time Word sees the first heading one it has already seen other instances of that outline number stream. Word believes the list was already being used before the first "Heading 1" so this instance must be the second one.

To resolve the issue:
    1. Create some other styles which look the same as the headings but aren't linked to your number stream. Use these styles on the front matter instead of their heading equivalent
    2. Once there are no more headings in front of the paragraph "1 Introduction to Your xxxx Business System", select it and go to "Define new multilevel list" and set up the numbering the way you want it.

An alternative solution which avoids having to use other styles in front of the first Heading 1 is to set the outline number stream to start numbering at 0. This will work because your Heading 2, Heading 3, etc styles actually don't show a number despite being linked into the number stream. You might also try unlinking the lower level headings so they aren't part of the outline number stream - it is kind of pointless to link them in if you aren't displaying the number.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Niki B (2013-08-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a play with your solutions Andrew, but I couldn't get themto work unless I deleted the section break. (I deleted all the front matter with the exception of the TOC which has no Heading styles and it still wouldn't work.) So then I went back to Shauna Kelly's instructions (which I hadn't been able to find online, but I have a printed version at home), and realised that I'd been setting a new "multi-level" list and not a "list style". When I created a new "list style" and reapplied Heading 1 to the required text, everything worked fine. (Even with the existing front matter set up as various heading styles). Go figure. Next week I have to update the other document that has the same problem. This one is a bit trickier in that it has 4 - 5 numbered heading styles, but it has less front matter (title page and TOC only). Fingers crossed that I made the same silly mistake with this one.

Thanks
    Here is a link to Shauna's page (archive)
    http://web.archive.org/web/201305101...g20072010.html
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

Niki B (2013-08-06)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Charles. I've added it to my Favourites so I won't lose it again!!! It's got to be one of my favourite articles (which may be because I used to play in a band!).

Thanks
    The links in that page can get you to the archived versions of the rest of her pages. Something seems to be a problem with the website right now but I've been told it will be fixed.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin