Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Browser inconsistency driving me crazy!

This is a long description, so please bear with me.

I have a desktop computer (PowerSpec) and a laptop computer (Sony Vaio). Both are fairly new. Both are running Win 7 Pro SP1. Both have the same version of Firefox (version 22.0) and Internet Explorer (version 9 that came with the OS). Both FF browsers are set up identically (as far as I can tell). Both IE browsers are set up identically (as far as I can tell).

Today, I made an attempt to book flights and rent a car online. I experienced strange and inconsistent behavior between the browsers, as follows:

Example 1:

If I go to the Hertz rental website (www.hertz.com), using I.E. 9 on either computer, the site opens up on the rental screen (the screen where I can specify pickup location, dates, times, etc.). This is as it should be.
    However, if I attempt to access the same site using Firefox, , it works fine on the laptop computer, but on the desktop computer, I reach a more general site with many optional links listed (reference attached Screen Shot 1). Clicking on "Reservations" the link, I would expect to be taken to the same site mentioned above, but nothing changes (I cannot leave the page). It should be noted that the other links on that page appear to work properly.

Example 2:

I go to the Southwest Airlines site (www.southwest.com), and login to my account. I hover the curser over the Rapid Rewards box (top row, right hand side), and from the dropdown menu, select "Buy and Transfer Points". As expected, this takes me to the page where among other things, I have the option to buy or transfer my reward points. So far, so good!
    Now, using I.E. 9 on my laptop, if I select Buy Points (or Transfer Points, for that matter) I'm taken to the appropriate page for doing that.
    But if I use I.E. 9 from my desktop computer, or Firefox from either computer, I'm presented with the error message shown in attached Screen Shot 2.

I can't seem to figure out why the behavior is not consistent between browsers and computers, and as mentioned in the thread title, it's driving me crazy. Obviously, between the two browsers and two computers, I can accomplish what I want, but I'd really like to understand what's going on.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi Les,
    First, I would upgrade to IE 10. Are you using the same search engine on your browsers, FF normally uses Google & IE uses Bing.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Roderunner. Thanks for the reply.

I am not using IE 10 for a number of reasons.
    First, there has been a lot of chatter (particularly in the Windows Secrets newsletters) about problems with this version of IE.
    Secondly, I have no interest in ever using IE, except for those instances where it's forced on me (such as when I use Windows Update), or when FF won't work with a particular site. Therefore, I'm not interested in updating to the "latest, greatest" version if what I have serves my purpose.

I use the secure version of Ixquick on my FF browsers. I use (actually, almost never use) whatever search engine came with the Win 7 version of IE (which, on my desktop atleast, appears to be Google). If I find that I have more than occasional need to use the IE search engine, I'll switch it to Ixquick.

Finally, I don't see how any of this addresses my issue. Am I overlooking something here?

Thanks
    Hi Les,
    Finally, I don't see how any of this addresses my issue. Am I overlooking something here?
    Different search provider connect you to different sites. Try this Google based site. https://startpage.com/

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again.
    I understand that I might get different search listings when I use different search providers. But in this case I wasn't searching for anything, I was just following the links provided by Hertz and Southwest, so the search engines should have nothing to do with this problem.
    Just as an aside, I did verify that the IE search engine is indeed Bing, I was confused because it said Google next to the search box. In any case, I changed it to Ixquick on my desktop computer. The Southwest link still doesn't work using IE on the desktop (in other words, no change).

Thanks
    Could it be caused by your addons ? Try it in 'Safe' mode.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, just tried it (with FF). Makes no difference, the problem remains.

Thanks for thinking about this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the site you goes to sucks out a lot of information from your pc
    including your browser name and version plus settings like cookies and javacrap etc

dependign on that they may direct you to a different page

hotmail directs me to a mobile page because i use an old FF version
    if i had a newer browser they would send me to a pc oriented page with more stuff visible at once

Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    This is a long description, so please bear with me.

I have a desktop computer (PowerSpec) and a laptop computer (Sony Vaio). Both are fairly new. Both are running Win 7 Pro SP1. Both have the same version of Firefox (version 22.0) and Internet Explorer (version 9 that came with the OS). Both FF browsers are set up identically (as far as I can tell). Both IE browsers are set up identically (as far as I can tell).

Today, I made an attempt to book flights and rent a car online. I experienced strange and inconsistent behavior between the browsers, as follows:

Example 1:

If I go to the Hertz rental website (www.hertz.com), using I.E. 9 on either computer, the site opens up on the rental screen (the screen where I can specify pickup location, dates, times, etc.). This is as it should be.
    However, if I attempt to access the same site using Firefox, , it works fine on the laptop computer, but on the desktop computer, I reach a more general site with many optional links listed (reference attached Screen Shot 1). Clicking on "Reservations" the link, I would expect to be taken to the same site mentioned above, but nothing changes (I cannot leave the page). It should be noted that the other links on that page appear to work properly.

Example 2:

I go to the Southwest Airlines site (www.southwest.com), and login to my account. I hover the curser over the Rapid Rewards box (top row, right hand side), and from the dropdown menu, select "Buy and Transfer Points". As expected, this takes me to the page where among other things, I have the option to buy or transfer my reward points. So far, so good!
    Now, using I.E. 9 on my laptop, if I select Buy Points (or Transfer Points, for that matter) I'm taken to the appropriate page for doing that.
    But if I use I.E. 9 from my desktop computer, or Firefox from either computer, I'm presented with the error message shown in attached Screen Shot 2.

I can't seem to figure out why the behavior is not consistent between browsers and computers, and as mentioned in the thread title, it's driving me crazy. Obviously, between the two browsers and two computers, I can accomplish what I want, but I'd really like to understand what's going on.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Les,
    Another possible avenue would be to determine for each machine, the versions of any other software (e.g., Java, Flash) that the Southwest or Hertz websites require (if in fact either does have such a requirement). Yet another might be patches that have been downloaded and installed (e.g., for the operating system). These thoughts aren't based on any specifics of what you had reported, I'm just tossing them out there. 8O)

Dave

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it's confusing.

I use the same version of FF (v. 22.0) on both computers. I use the same (latest) version of Flash on both computers. I use the same version of IE (v.9) on both computers. I've tried with and without Java (latest version), and it makes no difference (I usually leave Java disabled for security reasons).

The problem (as described above in detail) is that for each browser (FF of IE9), there is a scenario where it will work on one computer, but not the other, or it will work with one browser, but not the other. Seems to me that if both computers are set up with identical OS's and browsers (they are), there should be no difference in the results between computers. As far as different patches, with the exception of the Microsoft .net updates and a select few others, I've been keeping both computer OS's up to date using Windows Update. If those patches (and there are hundreds) are different between computers, it's beyond me to figure out which ones, if any, are screwing things up.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are some sites, fewer all the time, that just flat out won't work with FF, so I use IE Tab which allows me to switch a single tab to an IE tab and access whatever (Ford SyncMyRide was one of these) I need to and switch back. At first Windows Update wouldn't work in FF, but using IE Tab fooled it into thinking I was using IE. If it can fool Microsoft, it can fool any site that only wants IE or only allows full features with IE. :^)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, Gene, I'll look into it.
    However, if the site doesn't work in the "real" IE, I doubt that it'll work in IE Tab.
    Who knows, stranger things have happened.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Les,
    With regard to Example 1, I'm wondering whether the data that the Hertz web server might have stored with FF about your preferences or attributes might be different on your desktop than on your laptop. Perhaps try clearing your private data (or whatever that collection is called in FF 22.0).

Dave

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Dave.

I always use private browsing in FF. Therefore, nothing should be stored on FF.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Les,
    This is starting to drive me crazy! But it's sounding even more to me (whatever weight that warrants) like an issue at Hertz and at SouthWest. Have you seriously contemplated filing a trouble report with each company, or does the prospect of obtaining informed technical assistance seem too remote?

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast