Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Cool What causes "Outlook Not Responding" error?

    Hi there
    While running Outlook 2010, it sometimes hangs and the only way I can get it restarted is to do Ctrl + Alt + Del then choose the restart option.

    I get the message in the title bar "outlook not responding" , it does not happen every day, but is annoying all the same.

    On this machine, I am running Windows 7, Office 2010 & IE 9.

    Any help would be good

    Regards

    Tony

  2. #2
    Super Moderator RetiredGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Manning, South Carolina
    Posts
    9,434
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Tony,

    Next time you get the message use Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up the task manager. Then click on the CPU header line which will sort the list by CPU usage. This will let you see what is hogging your CPU cycles and causing the message. This situation is often caused by background updates downloading line Windows Updates, programs phoning home, automatic Anti-Virus software updates, etc. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

    RG

    PowerShell & VBA Rule!

    My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

    scubatony (2013-08-06)

  4. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Tony,

    Next time you get the message use Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up the task manager. Then click on the CPU header line which will sort the list by CPU usage. This will let you see what is hogging your CPU cycles and causing the message. This situation is often caused by background updates downloading line Windows Updates, programs phoning home, automatic Anti-Virus software updates, etc. HTH
    Hi There RG
    Thanks for the advice
    I currently run KIS 2013, and happens even when it is not updating, as regards stuff running in the background, I fully appreciate your comment, but surely, if the machine is on then its on and if all that i'm doing is ( i.e putting to task ) is Outlook then you would think it would lock all the time.
    I can see on the task bar there are no updates ready for Win 7.
    Time now in UK is 12:29, the machine has been on since 08:00 and Outlook has been running just the same amount of time, it has happened twice.
    Ok you could say KIS 2013 update was responsible for one of those but not both ( it wasnt because the update happened before the the first incident) .

  5. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Try starting Outlook without add-ons to see if it still happens. You can check the syntax here: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/c...neswitches.htm
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

    scubatony (2013-08-06)

  7. #5
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Try starting Outlook without add-ons to see if it still happens. You can check the syntax here: http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/c...neswitches.htm
    Hi There Ruirib
    Thanks for that.

    This is exactly what I did.

    1 I read your post
    2 I shut down Outlook
    3 I followed the instructions given on the link to the page
    4 I pressed ENTER
    5 Outlook rebooted

    One final question how will I know if it has been cured, as opposed to it not happening again ?

  8. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scubatony View Post
    One final question how will I know if it has been cured, as opposed to it not happening again ?
    I fear that you won't have many other ways to know that. Just check whether Outlook keeps crashing...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

    scubatony (2013-08-06)

  10. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I will be sure to reply and what I was doing at the time, except making the coffee.

  11. #8
    Super Moderator RetiredGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Manning, South Carolina
    Posts
    9,434
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Tony,

    Are you getting a "Synchronizing Folders" message in the Outlook status bar? If so see this MS Article. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

    RG

    PowerShell & VBA Rule!

    My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

  12. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,748
    Thanks
    171
    Thanked 649 Times in 572 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Tony,

    Are you getting a "Synchronizing Folders" message in the Outlook status bar? If so see this MS Article. HTH
    That's all about Exchange Server and Offline Folders. Are either of those in play here?

    Bruce

  13. #10
    Super Moderator RetiredGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Manning, South Carolina
    Posts
    9,434
    Thanks
    372
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Bruce,

    I was getting those messages and I used neither. I'm not sure I linked the right article but there is a way to kill the sync thing that I did a while ago. I'll do some more research and see it I can find the procedure.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

    RG

    PowerShell & VBA Rule!

    My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

  14. #11
    Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Outlook Not Responding was a major problem for me for a number of years. Disable add-ins with no help. Finally decided that my pst was too large even though it was within Microsoft size limitations. Eventually archived and shrunk the size of my past to a fraction of it's previous size. Now only experience the error periodically rather than all the time.

    I think the synch function gets bogged down with large files.

  15. #12
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    9
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Bruce,

    I was getting those messages and I used neither. I'm not sure I linked the right article but there is a way to kill the sync thing that I did a while ago. I'll do some more research and see it I can find the procedure.
    Hi There Bruce

    Did you get any further with your "sync thing" ?

    Maybe this might be of help.

    I curretly run Office 2010 64 bit and within that Word and that has has sometimes had the "not responding thing" also.

    Now this really puzzles me as this copy of Office came on disc direct from Microsoft themselves and not a third party.

    Any ideas ?

    Tony

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •