New Lounger
    Thanks

What brands of laptops are most upgrade-able to new OS version

I have an older HP laptop, a DV6700 CTO, that came with Vista. I have a newer HP laptop, a dm1, that came with Windows 7.

When Windows 7 arrived, I checked on upgrading the DV6700 to Win7, but Microsoft and HP told me that it was not upgradable due to some missing drivers. I recall it was the media buttons on the keyboard that were the problem

When Windows 8 arrived, I upgraded my dm1 laptop to Win8 using their too-cheap-to-pass-up offer. It upgraded, but I have since learned that HP says it is not upgradable. It works OK, although there are a few things that don't work well. I get a popup error message about the ATI Catalyst that won't work with Win8. And I have had a few other problems, such as I cannot get Connectify Dispatch to work.

My question is: What brands of laptops have you been able to successfully upgrade from one version of Windows to the next? I am considering changing my loyalty to HP considering my upgrade experience.

Thanks
    The media buttons issue is purely HP, not Windows/OS -related. It's like having a broken shortcut on your Desktop, the action can still be triggered via the normal route.

If the current machine has a switchable dual GPU setup, the best option is to stay with the standard OEM drivers (HP, on this case) as using the generic, chipset makers' drivers are very likely to lead to problems. Other than Sony, most makers with single GPU laptops usually work fine on the generic drivers from the chip makers.

Your best plan might be to narrow down your choice to 2 -3 notebooks then research the hardware. Business class laptops may be better, certainly they should be almost bloatware -free and built with long-term stability in mind.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
    My question is: What brands of laptops have you been able to successfully upgrade from one version of Windows to the next? I am considering changing my loyalty to HP considering my upgrade experience.
    bdornbush,

Hello... It's not so much what brand of "laptop\notebook" you choose ..It's what comes with it ...Ex:

1. If you get one with Windows 8 ... you will most likely get a UEFI \ GPT , Secure Boot, PC.( I hate GPT and Secure Boot and Windows 8 ) With some versions the BIOS will not let you easily turn off "Secure Boot "... So unless Windows likes the software you want to run ..you're going to have a problem, especially with some older programs ( No security certificate)

2. In my world, the OS of choice is Windows 7 \ 64 Pro with a UEFI BIOS ...No having to mess with trying to make 8 look and run like 7...

3. Look for a brand that will come with a SSD cache as well as a HD of at least 500 GB ..It will boot much faster... You can switch things around much easier with this setup ..Also stay away with anything that uses a BIOS with "Secure Boot" scheme... 7 or 8.. My opinion is... "it's like shooting yourself in the foot" from the "Geko"

4. I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites and say ... "I'm crazy" .. They are probably correct , But by me agreeing with them ...well then we would both be wrong.. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-08-06 at 15:06.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fred,

So unless Windows likes the software you want to run ..you're going to have a problem, especially with some older programs ( No security certificate)
    Well, so far (knocking on my head {wood get it } ), I haven't found a single program I wanted to install that gave my new Dell XPS 8700 Win 8 {upgraded to Pro} w/GPT/Secure Boot a single problem. But then again I don't really run any thing that would be considered out there.

Here's a list of my Programs:

7-Zip
    Adobe Flash Player
    Arachnophilia
    AttachmentOptions
    Belarc Advisor
    Brother HL-5370DW
    CCleaner
    CPUID HWMonitor
    CPUz-x64
    Duplicate Cleaner Free
    EaseUS Partition Master
    Eraser
    Hard Disk Sentinel
    IrfanView
    Java
    Logitech SetPoint
    Macrium Reflect
    Microsoft Money
    Microsoft Office Professional 2010
    Microsoft Silverlight
    Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core
    Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Provider
    MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition
    Mozilla FireFox
    MyFreeCodec
    Nitro Reader
    Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth Suite (64)
    Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
    Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader
    Revo Uninstaller Pro
    RoboForm
    Samsung Kies
    Samsung Story Album Viewer
    Samsung USB Driver for Mobile Phones
    Secunia PSI
    Speccy
    Standardize Drive Letters
    StartIsBack
    SyncToy 2.1 (x64)
    SysInternals Suite
    TeamViewer
    USB Drive Letter Management
    VBA Decompiler
    WinMerge
    WinPatrol
    WOT for Internet Explorer
    Xmarks for IE

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, so far (knocking on my head {wood get it } ), I haven't found a single program I wanted to install that gave my new Dell XPS 8700 Win 8 {upgraded to Pro} w/GPT/Secure Boot a single problem. But then again I don't really run any thing that would be considered out there.

RG,
    Hello...Sorry... I was referring to things that you want to run at "boot time" ...Like programs on CD\ DVD (free open source type 3rd party software) etc. ..Impressive list. Also i have read that MS installs the "KEY" in BIOS so if you want to "Downgrade" to 7 you might have a problem.. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-08-06 at 18:29.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Also i have read that MS installs the "KEY" in BIOS so if you want to "Downgrade" to 7 you might have a problem.. Regards Fred
    Fred,

I don't know if this is true or not BUT my machine is lacking the standard MS Windows Key Sticker and believe me I've looked all over for it. It didn't however give me any problems transferring my Win 8-Pro upgrade to the new machine other than having to answer how may machines it was installed on!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    As the OP found, the biggest problems with OS upgrades are driver issues. HP is notorious for not providing new drivers for the latest version of Windows. Businesses also can have issues with proprietary software. I have a lawyer client with a very expensive payroll app that only runs on XP. I know there are work arounds like XP mode in Vista and dual boot, but they have no interest in going that route.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    I don't know if this is true or not BUT my machine is lacking the standard MS Windows Key Sticker and believe me I've looked all over for it.
    RG,
    Hello... This may be of some help Embedded Win 8 Keys I have read about varying problems with this new method ...But i think that it's just MS's answer to prevent piracy or stealing of "Keys", and trying to squash some open source software.. There is much on the "web" about this...Like i stated to the OP ... just avoid the problem in the first place.. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    I second the problem with HP being bad in supplying updated drivers. This seems to be their modus operandi with all H/W, not just PCs. I will not even think of HP products any more because of this apparent lack of desire to support their products. They would rather sell you a new product than support their old products.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy