Thanks

External backup disk format for backup files, images

During the process to create a backup routine, it occurred to me to ask if the back-up Disk format (ntfs, fat32,..) is important.

I understand that a current or recent drive image containing the existing state of my W8 install could be used to update or replace a failed W8 install.

However, I am mostly concerned about a W8 *Drive failure, where access to the existing drive is not possible.

If i need to apply a back-up image/clone to a new W8 internal drive or raw partition after a complete drive failure, and the back-up image is on the HDD Back-UP hard disk, how or what would I use to find, select, and use the back-up image from the back-up HDD to install W8 on a new replacement system drive. ( I hope this makes sense.)
    thank you

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    If you are using a Windows 8 created image, the system recovery disk would be an option, so you could format it NTFS, no issues. If you use imaging tools, no issues using NTFS. FAT32 would be a huge waster of disk space and much less reliable than NTFS.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    so if I have this right,
    in my worst case *drive failure scenario, the imaging tools I would be using would allow to me to retrieve the W8 image from the external HD "back-up" drive and also begin an install process of the current W8 image to the new replacement drive??

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Yes, they would. That's what they are for.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

BigFatBoy (2013-08-06)