New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Little opaque labels that don't go away

This is really vague....sorry. Lately, I'm getting little labels that pop up and stay on the screen all the time even on the desktop. They are rectangular, about 2 inches long, maybe 1/4" high and they change sometimes when I do certain actions. E.g., maybe I Delete something, then the label says Delete. Later, I might Rename something, and it changes to Rename. They are opaque so they block whatever text they are over at the time. I would take a "Screen Shot" but I don't know how. ( I just happened to see that another person that was replying to someone else said, "Can you take a screen shot?"--that's first time I had heard of that). It seems that these labels started appearing after my wife (after much trouble) opened me a Gmail account and has it set up for my Yahoo email to send a copy to my Gmail. Maybe just a coincidence? Does this make any sense to anyone?

Thanks,
    a not too tech savvy boomer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    ok, I read how to do a screen shot; here it is, I hope. screen shot label.png

Thanks
    Alan, the little opaque label is not shown on your screen shot. The next time the label appears, press Prt Sc, then paste it to Paint. You can then use the crop tool in Paint to highlight the area in question, use rectangles or circles to show the exact point, etc. That should show the label. Normally these little labels pop up, then after a few seconds disappear.

I wonder if this line in Folder Options might solve your problem:

PopUpDescription.jpg

For example this screen shot was of the entire web page. I used the crop tool to only show the Folder Options box in question, then used the Rectangle Icon changed to red to highlight the actual point in question. I hope this helps with both your problems.
    Last edited by Medico; 2013-08-07 at 06:18.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted, its a little hard to see but the label does show up in the screen shot to the right of "reply to thread."

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you updated an drivers recently?

Have you changed any display settings recently?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I see it; it says "rename" - looks like a fragment of a context (i.e., "right-click") menu.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,

Awesome! That worked! Curiously, when I first looked at your reply, it had only the blue link but the box illustration with the red rectangle around that Pop-Up line was not there. When I clicked on the link and it just brought up a generic box about popups and I thought, "Well, that was no help." So my wife and I went to the Folder Options and did a "Reset to Default" and then Restart. Didn't do anything. Then we did a Norton Scan. Didn't do anything. Then I came back to your reply and the illustration box was there showing what line to uncheck. So, I went to Folder Options, unchecked the box on that line, Restart and .....WALAH, it was gone! My wife commented that now I would not be able to hover and see what the total Name verbiage was on Desktop icons and I thought, "Well, that's kind of a bummer - I did like that." So, I went back and re-clicked the box to put a checkmark back in there for "Show Pop-Up Description..." and Apply/Saved---and the label is still gone. So, great. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. If it comes up again I know how to get rid of it. Thanks to the others who commented too. (Alan)

Thanks
    Alan, Glad I was able to supply some info toward the correct fix.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy