2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ten years of pictures onto DVD gallery: suggestions?

I have been tasked with creating a DVD of my daughter's school photos over the past 10 years. I will be getting pictures from the parents (hopefully) in year folders. The idea is to give each of the kids in the class a DVD with pictures from the last 10 years, as a keepsake.

I was thinking of creating a web interface for the front, with links to galleries on the disk. I could use Lightroom to create a web album for each year, which would then get linked to, but this might prove a bit of a challenge, especially because we are probably looking at around 4-5000 images! I don't have too much time available to put this together....

There is also the option of using Picasa to create a "DVD" slideshow, but I don't know how well that will work when we have 10 years x 12 months per year + special events folders! Anyone with experience on what they will look like?

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can put this together to look good, but not take months to prepare? If there is a software package that will do it, I am happy to buy it!

Thanks in advance!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya I think with that many photos to process you need something that will make a slideshow automatically from a folder of photos as a pre-step to building a DVD, rather than try to place all the photos individually in a timeline and find the DVD menu breaks and place pointers there. Picasa works pretty good for that purpose, just have 120 organized folders and there's a slideshow creation icon you can use to crunch each set into a slideshow with some simple settings (interval, transitions, etc.).
    Still that's quite a task to get to the point of a DVD master. Just putting them on small thumb drives in organized folders might be a little more user friendly and preserve more of the quality (DVD is pretty small dimensions these days (720x480)) if you make larger dimension slideshow masters. If you did something like that I might suggest either Irfanview or Faststone Image viewer. These are two more organizers that can make true standalone slideshows (either .scr (screensaver) or .exe file) that can be set to scroll forward at automatic intervals or by keyboard or mouse interaction (maybe even touch) so one can choose the pace of advancement.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ten years is a very long time for kids, and it may be a daunting task to figure out how to organize it. Strictly chronological is fine up to a point, but it might be fun to have some novelty arrangements as well, such as tracking select kids' heights over time to show how some kids suddenly sprouted and towered over the rest, or other silly things. That would help avoid simple chronological boredom. You might ask kids for 'remember the time...' incidents when something they will all remember happened and that parents, for example, never heard about (or heard too much about), and if there are any photos to commemorate the event. Finally, don't forget that kids have cell phones with cameras these days and might have a treasure of a photo or two themselves that you could include.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did this at a school several years ago, and found Irfanview was the better; there is NEVER "The Best" as everyone's preferences differ.
    Time was also the issue for me as it is for you.

Consider the parent's screen size and don't try to have too many thumbnails on each page. One screen full is sufficient. Also simple is better for this. My problem was once I'd decided which software to use I thought about making it "better". RESIST THIS TEMPTATION WITH ALL YOUR MENTAL POWERS!! Time is the more important issue.

While one CD suited our needs, it's possible you may need to use more than one for each child. Just select photos for each DVD to maintain the theme of that dvd.

You have a scary few months ahead of you, but once you've done the thinking and design, the rest's easy. Boring, but easy.

Thanks
    Have a look at jAlbum.net. This produces web pages with albums on - quite a few free skins. I'm pretty sure you can put the results on DVD. Free version has ads (though I've never found them obtrusive), paid for doesn't.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    XnView is one (free) image program worth considering.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2013-08-10 at 18:11.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks folks! The tips are really helpful! I use Faststone Image Viewer, which is great for bulk manipulation of jpeg images... it adds watermarks, changes size, sharpens, and loads more - I love it!
    I have also been pointed at ProShowGold, which appears to do everything that I am looking for, however I still need to see how many images we are going to be dealing with.

I have been thinking pretty hard about how to do this, and come up with one more challenge:

I was asked if I could do a specific DVD for each girl - with only pictures that they are in! How's that for a challenge! At first I said - NO, NEVER.... but then I started thinking...(I know that can be dangerous!) Face recognition. Is there somewhere a plugin for Lightroom or another programme that will identify faces in pictures? If that is the case, and I can then tag the pictures with the names of the girls in them, then I can easily do a filtering and select for each girl..... and I then have the individualised disk!

Picasa does have a face recognition part, but I don't know how it actually attached the person's name to the images it finds the person in. If it simply adds a tag, then that would be the obvious choice. Since I don't use Picasa, I am at somewhat of a loss of experience. How does Picasa do with face recognition? Is it worth considering?

TIA...
    Cheers
    Alain

Thanks
    Picasa's face recognition is pretty good - it correctly identified me with pictures going back to when I was beardless. However, it tales an age if you let it do all your photos (I have upwards of 10,000) and all it does it put the pictures in albums named after the people concerned. And it can be a bit over the top with what it defines as a face! Note that you will have to do these manually for them all, though it's normally quite a quick procedure. Note that it will try and create contacts for each of these - I didn't look how to switch this off, but I think there are ways.

A better way is to add tags to each photo with the people in them. You can use these to select all pictures with a specific person in, in windows/file explorer you can use the search "tag:Fred Bloggs" to get these, then you can copy them to your DVD. So it would be a time consuming task to begin with, but would be much quicker later.

Picasa is good at adding tags - you can select more than one photo to add the same tag to the. There may well be other programs that will do this for you.