Thread: Save Desktop

New Lounger
    Thanks

Save Desktop

I am looking for a program that will save (and restore) my desktop including the size and location of all the shortcuts. Occasionally Windows resets the desktop to the default with large icons all bunched on the left side. Windows 7 Professional with all updates. Any help would be appreciated.
    Whitey

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a cool program that was just for XP called Iconoid (3.14), I tried it on 7 and had some success but there must have been enough bugs to cause me the quite using it. Now I use Fences from Stardock but I don't know if the preserve desktop and desktop snapshot are available in the free version or not since I use the paid for version.

Edit: I just checked and good news, looks like Iconoid is being updated again (and then not again) and works fine with 7.
    Last edited by F.U.N. downtown; 2013-08-07 at 12:41.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This is a simple program which saves and restores desktop icon layout via a right-click: Desktop Restore

Bruce

Thanks
    I use Desktop Restore, as suggested by Bruce, but it sometimes fails to restore correctly the first time, often restores correctly on a subsequent attempt, but sometimes not correctly at all.

I haven't found any desktop icon restore program that works every time! It is, apparently, a very difficult task to program.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

Whitey (2013-08-08)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Now I use Fences from Stardock but I don't know if the preserve desktop and desktop snapshot are available in the free version or not since I use the paid for version.
    Ditto here. Saving snapshots is nice feature and Fences is a nice desktop organizer. I especially like the feature to turn on and off so that I have an unobstructed view of my changing desktop backgrounds.

Rich

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks! Desktop Restore is the program I was looking for. I agree with BATcher's comments - I had the same experience before my computer crashed.