1. Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post How to remove QVO6 from PC

Somehow I have managed to "acquire" QVO6 onto my PC in Windows 8.
    Can anybody give me a "idiots guide" to getting rid of it please: The solutions I found when I searched are many and varied, with some receiving comments "it did not work". It has also installed new "sounds" on my PC which is really annoying; also it has taken over as my home page in IE. Any assistance would be gratefully received.
    Bob

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Follow the instructions given here:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...owser-hijacker

Jerry

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-08), zackdecoda (2013-08-12)

5. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry that appeared to get rid of QVO6; however it was then replaced by "about:blank" (seems I have downloaded a whole heap of trouble). Can you suggest what to do about getting rid of "about:blank" which appears tobe another "hijack" virus.
    Bob

6. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PS: I purchased reImage program and ran it, but it did not find about:blank. I also ran a full scan with AVG Free 2013 but it did not find it either. I wonder why they are not finding it, when it is obviously there, e.g. when I open I.E. it has hijacked my home page.
    Bob

Thanks
    The about:blank is a blank page. You might have to reset your home pages(s) by manually going there then use Internet Options to select use current for the home page section.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-08)

9. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    TX for your reply Medico; however that does not work, I hve tried and tried with similar suggestions. I had a live chat with AVG but he could not find the problem on my PC after I gave him remote access - he referred the problem to their technical staff and they are working on it now. Will let everybody know the result. Also I received advice from reimage tech staff saying it is not a virus but a default screen that comes up after secutiry software has detected a virus... I'm not sure they are correct as this is described on various google sites as a "hijack" virus. Whatever it is a lot of people have asked for help to remove it, but so far no solution I have tried works; incluing resetting home page in I.E. tools and resetting I.E. Defaults in I.E. tools. I live in hope...
    Bob
    PS: I would love to know where I got these viruses from...perhaps YTube but I'm not sure.

Thanks
    I would assume YouTube is a strong possibility for the virus acquisition. Unfortunately no AV app will see or catch everything. Does the page go to your home page when you manually enter the URL? I assume you have rebooted after deleting the virus.

See if perhaps this article might help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-11)

Thanks
    Do you have a System Restore point prior to the infections?

Jerry

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-11)

14. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran system restore to a date I "think" is prior to the infections, but system restore came up with a message saying it could not complete the process because a file it required was missing. I have left it alone since then in case I do more harm. Some good news, I hope, is I found 3 infected files in AVG's log and I was able to disable them using AVG. Since then the "about:blank" home page does not appear any more (touch wood) and my normal home page appears now. I am not convinced I have really got rid of "QVO6" or "about:blank" but so far there are no obvious problems running on my PC. Time will tell! TX to all who helped.
    Bob

15. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, I read that article. It expresses all that I have learned so far about "about:blank". I think the reason why I could not get rid of it was the fact that the infected files were still on my PC; once I got rid of them via AVG the blank page stopped. It all makes sense once the process becomes clearer. Any way to date no further problem. I think I will stay away from downloading You Tube videos from now on - and I was having so much fun! Why I'm a bit suspicious about QVO6 (whether it is still lurking in the background), is that I went into the system to disable unwanted processes and search engines etc. and low and behold there was QVO6 in the list; I clicked on "remove" and it disappeared. I hope it has gone now. I had already completed the process outlined at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...owser-hijacker thus the reason for my suspicion. By the way when the bleepingcomputer process had finished I had lost RegCure Pro completely; not sure why, but as it's license was due to run out on the 26th Aug it did not matter much. I am sticking with AVG and Reimage. I may have a try with RegZooka, which gets a pretty good write up. Thing is can one have too many of these programs on ones computer?
    Any way thank you very much to responding to my several posts.
    Bob

Thanks
    Some of these things, although not "technically" considered spamware are things I would consider undesirable foistware in that they start changing my system without my approval. Anything that changes my PC without my approval I would consider spamware or scamware!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-11)

18. 3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MalwareBytes is an excellent addition to any A-V program. It has been recommended a number of times in this forum.
    http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Rich

19. The Following User Says Thank You to rmonroe36 For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-11)

20. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Had a look at cubby and will keep it in mind thanks. I agree with Medico, I am uncomfortable with any program that changes my PC without telling me. I am beginnint to think that "keeping it tight" in terms of the number of "protective" programs installed is the way to go. (Yes I am improving.) Thanks to all.
    Bob

21. The Following User Says Thank You to casso For This Useful Post:

zackdecoda (2013-08-12)