Thread: Malwarebytes

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Malwarebytes

Often recommended here, but should Malwarebytes Anti Malware take as long as 78 seconds up of boot time (a long 4.40 minutes) on my Win7 home premium laptop? What do others find?

Tim

Thanks
    A lot would depend on what other apps are starting along with Malwarebytes. My PC is usually ready to go between 30 and 45 seconds. This includes the OS, AVG AV 2013 and Malwarebytes Pro. I also start my touchpad app and my mouse S/W. That's about it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timsinc View Post
    Often recommended here, but should Malwarebytes Anti Malware take as long as 78 seconds up of boot time (a long 4.40 minutes) on my Win7 home premium laptop? What do others find?
    Tim,

Hello... I have and use Malwarebytes Pro ... the difference between the Pro version and the "Free" is that the Pro runs in real time ,and updates itself during the day ...The free only starts when you tell it to.. So i doubt that this program has much to do with your slow boot time... you can adjust the settings if your using the Pro version ...not sure about the free ..see screen shot . I looked in my startup manager ( whats in start up \ jv-16 ) and Malwarebytes doesn't show up.. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Same here, right at 30 seconds from Off to being on the 'Net ... and that includes loading MalwareBytes AntiMalware Pro.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    Same here, right at 30 seconds from Off to being on the 'Net ... and that includes loading MalwareBytes AntiMalware Pro.
    Wow, you guys beat the world average. A snip from my Soluto report:
    Boot time.JPG

This is what I have starting up:

Yes HKCU:Run DownloadAccelerator "C:\Program Files (x86)\DAP\DAP.EXE" /STARTUP
    Yes HKCU:Run RoboForm "C:\Program Files (x86)\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\RoboTaskBarIcon.exe"
    Yes HKCU:Run SpeedBitVideoAccelerator "C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedBit Video Accelerator\VideoAccelerator.exe" /startup
    Yes HKCU:Run GoogleDriveSync "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Drive\googledrivesync.exe" /autostart
    Yes HKCU:Run GoogleChromeAutoLaunch_721577D41E77D440C916E2687EB A0267 "C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Applic ation\chrome.exe" --no-startup-window

Yes HKLM:Run SuiteTray "C:\Program Files (x86)\EgisTec MyWinLockerSuite\x86\SuiteTray.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run BackupManagerTray "C:\Program Files (x86)\NewTech Infosystems\Acer Backup Manager\BackupManagerTray.exe" -h -k
    Yes HKLM:Run LManager C:\Program Files (x86)\Launch Manager\LManager.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run ApnUpdater "C:\Program Files (x86)\Ask.com\Updater\Updater.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run BtTray "C:\Program Files (x86)\BlueSoleil 5\BtTray.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run APSDaemon "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run TrueImageMonitor.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Acronis\TrueImageHome\TrueImageMonitor.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run AcronisTibMounterMonitor C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\TibMounter\TibMounterMonitor.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run Acer ePower Management C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer ePower Management\ePowerTray.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\UWA\UpdaterStartupUtility.e xe"
    Yes HKLM:Run Windows Mobile Device Center %windir%\WindowsMobile\wmdc.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run IgfxTray C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run MSC "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    Yes HKLM:Run Password Door "C:\Program Files\Password Door\TLPD.EXE"
    Yes HKLM:Run Acronis Scheduler2 Service "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2\schedhlp.exe"

Yes Startup Common GloboNote.lnk C:\Program Files (x86)\GloboNote\GloboNote.exe

Yes Startup User EvernoteClipper.lnk C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\EvernoteClipper.exe

Tim

PS I have Malwaredbytes Pro.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timsinc View Post
    Wow, you guys beat the world average. A snip from my Soluto report:

This is what I have starting up:
    Tim,
    Hello... Looks like you need for a first step is to stop them from starting , and add them back as needed and see if any of these are what's causing the problem.. you can try this one for free .. WhatsInStartup towards the bottom of the page ..Although i don't have too much confidence in this program....and use jv-16 ..another story Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    WOW! That is quite a long list. No wonder things are slow on your PC with all that starting. I have 4 apps starting with Windows. As stated MalwareBytes Pro, AVG AV2013, touchpad and mouse S/W. I have everything else controlled so it only comes on when I wish to use it. There is not need for these apps to all start with Windows. You have 22 different apps starting with Windows. I repeat, WOW!

I have and use both What's In Startup and Autoruns for Windows. Autoruns is too comprehensive for just checking start up items in my mind.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Autoruns is too comprehensive for just checking start up items in my mind.
    Ted,

You only need to pay attention to the Logon Tab. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I realize that, but What's In Startup is just simpler and easier for me to see.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Autoruns shows startups in four different tabs, at least: Logon, Scheduled tasks, Boot execute, Winlogon and sometimes in the case of malware especially, Appint.

Also, if you use a program, like Winpatrol for instance, to delay when 3rd party startups load, those delayed startups might not show up in Autoruns at all.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2013-08-08)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. I'm afraid Autoruns was all a bit over my head. I've been using the CCleaner > tools > start-ups. however, I thought I was mostly using these constantly.

Download accelerator for quicker pause-able downloads;
    Roboform nearly every online session for form filling;
    video accelerator -no but keeps switching back on. Have deleted it
    Google drive - I've disabled
    Chrome - Disabled
    Suite Tray - that's the important bit right end of bottom taskbar?
    Back up Manager - not sure what that does
    Lanch manager - again ?
    Ask.com updater - Disabled
    BT tray - hardly ever use bluetooth
    APS Daemon?
    TruelMonitor?
    Acer ePower manager - surely need that
    Acronis apps (including TruelMonitor - I understand it's recording changes to make my backing-up quicker. Not sure though so have disabled them all
    Windows Mobile Device Center - sounds important
    IgfxTray - Has to do with an Intel Display Adapter, harmless say some, disaster disabling said another.
    MSC - MS Security
    Password door - I use it to lock certain programs, such as those dealing with finance
    Globonote I'll switch off
    Evernote I use a fair bit.

Thanks
    You have to understand, many of the apps that start with Windows load themselves there because they think themselves so important. These are not needed to be running in the background. Modern PCs with sufficient RAM start these apps quickly when called upon, so do NOT need to be running in the background. Evernote for example, download accelerator, etc.

I like LastPass for the password manager because it loads an add-on in IE rather than having an app that needs to run in the background. Windows Mobile Device Center might be needed for syncing with a Windows Phone, but should be able to be started as needed rather than running in the background, etc, etc, etc.

Whenever I have a question about an app starting with Windows, or any app, just plug the name into your search engine to find out what it does and to determine if it's necessary to start with Windows.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    .... these apps quickly when called upon do NOT need to be running in the background. Evernote for example, download accelerator, etc.

I like LastPass for the password manager because it loads an add-on in IE
    I don't use or like IE. Thank you for suggesting disabling the above apps. My fear, though, is that if, say, download accelerator is not running, the default browser downloader kicks in instead. Out of interest, I disabled a load of start-ups (especially three Acronis ones) and the boot time went UP - to 5 mins plus!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I realize that, but What's In Startup is just simpler and easier for me to see.
    It all seems to be a dark art. The CCleaner start-up tool showed a lot of apps that did not appear in What's In Startup.