New Lounger
    Thanks

Can I publish a book with a certain font?

I am about to publish a book (sorry, Hebrew only) and am worried about the fonts.

I am worried that after publishing, I will receive a letter from a lawyer that the font used in the book is the sole possession of my client, etc.

In truth, I would not mind paying for the font. Or maybe I would use an alternative font.

Now the questions:

1. Are all fonts included in windows "free" to use?
    2. Is there a list of those windows fonts?
    3. Is there a way to find the owner of a certain font?
    4. How can I be certain that he really is the owner?
    5. If I pay for the font, is this proof that I can use it forever in future books? Like, is it really MINE?
    6. If my children, grandchildren republish the book do they need the proof-of-purchase document in their hands?

As you can see, I am worried about the subject.

Any ideas out there?

I wrote to Windows Secrets and requested an article be prepared on this subject. Am I the only one worried?

Thank you for your attention.

Michael

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Windows fonts are freely usable, as far as I know. If Windows includes the Hebrew font you wish to use, I would say you are "good to go".

If the font you want is owned by someone, it will quite likely be on sale - you would need to contact the author/seller for licensing terms.
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    check out
    http://www.fonerbooks.com/
    he has written in hebrew and other pc/tech books too
    ask him

afaik:
    yes - ms licensed them and you can use them
    no - they vary from release to release - check microsoft site for font info
    not really - but you can search for font providers to see who has one you want and can license it directly that way if you want to
    you probabably cant know - unless he registered it with the LOC and you can verify its the same
    no - you need an IP attorney if you are this worried about it
    maybe -

ideas
    stop worrying about the little stuff
    do you know anyone who has been sued for using a font?
    i think i know of maybe one where they took a very high end expensive font and used it
    but the run of the mill pc fonts are so widely copied how can they prove you used their version
    and how would they find you to do it in the first place

i think you are in a very very small minority to worry about this

full disclosure - i have been a font junky, self publisher, and run a very small publishing biz
    but that does not make me a lawyer - see an IP lawyer if you are really so worried

solution - buy a font making program
    make your own version of your font

buy a font conversion program
    hand draw the characters and make your own font from that

buy a font from someone and make sure the license contract puts them on the hook to pay all damages if you get sued

check with foner and see what he says

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Unger View Post
    I am about to publish a book (sorry, Hebrew only) and am worried about the fonts.

I am worried that after publishing, I will receive a letter from a lawyer that the font used in the book is the sole possession of my client, etc.

In truth, I would not mind paying for the font. Or maybe I would use an alternative font.

Now the questions:

1. Are all fonts included in windows "free" to use?
    2. Is there a list of those windows fonts?
    3. Is there a way to find the owner of a certain font?
    4. How can I be certain that he really is the owner?
    5. If I pay for the font, is this proof that I can use it forever in future books? Like, is it really MINE?
    6. If my children, grandchildren republish the book do they need the proof-of-purchase document in their hands?

As you can see, I am worried about the subject.

Any ideas out there?

I wrote to Windows Secrets and requested an article be prepared on this subject. Am I the only one worried?

Thank you for your attention.

Michael

Thanks
    if it's an 'ebook' (versus a paper book), the pc or tablet that's it viewed on may change the font (to whatever font it thinks is the closest font) if it doesn't have the font that you published with.

other than that, i think you are worried needlessly, i won't worry at all about the font problem, it's just a distraction, publish your book and good luck with that.