Lounger
    Thanks

Question Long time to boot Win XP SP3 - waits on C:\Windows\System32\wlnotify.dll

When I boot my PC each morning, it takes about a total 10 minutes from power-on to ready at desktop. One of the key wait-points is before getting to the login prompt, and the screen shows that it's loading "c:\windows\system32\wlnotify.dll" What is this, and what are possible suggestions for finding and fixing why it takes between 1-3 minutes to load this every boot?

And yes, before you mention it, XP is on life-support, which is schedules for termination in 2014. I have a 64-bit Windows 7 box ready to replace it, but there are apps that we simply cannot get to run (and really, don't want them to run - they're old) on the Windows 7 box. We need this one to limp along until we can justify terminating it altogether.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Daniel,

Although this file is part of windows it has been known to be compromised (just do a quick google search on it and you'll see what I mean). I'd suggest you run a thorough anit-malware scan using Malwarebytes Free edition run from Safe Mode. You could also try some of the on-line scanning sites. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, did the scan overnight in safe mode, and although it found 4 PUP programs (2 I already knew about, but I was done with them, so I let it delete them, and one that appeared twice that I had downloaded, but never used), it didn't find anything that I found overly concerning. I could continue with AV scanning, but let's set that aside for a moment. What other possible causes could there be for "wlnotify.dll" being slow to boot? What *is* wlnotify.dll, really?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    WLNOTIFY.DLL is part of the Windows logon sequence used to process logon notifications.

I saw a thread that said this happened when the "Event Viewer" service was disabled. Have you done any "optimization" to disable services?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had this computer running for more than 10 years, with a full XP reinstall due to a botched live CD anti-virus scan about 4 years ago. It is possible that I have done some "service optimizing" since then. I have re-enabled some services that I have had previously disabled, namely the Alerter Service and Messenger (not Windows Messenger), to see if that helps the process any. Will report back with results.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You don't want the messenger service running. It was the source of a big exploit.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe that is why I also disabled the "Alerter" service, as the Messenger service states, "If this service is stopped, Alerter messages will not be transmitted." I will disable both again, which means, no, I don't believe I have disabled any services that could be responsible for the WLNOTIFY.DLL slowdown (and I noticed that it was just as slow this morning, even though I had re-enabled the Alerter and Messenger services.)

On My Windows XP SP3 32-bit box, I do not see any "Event Viewer" service. The closest services I can find are: "Event Log" (Automatic, Started), "Security Center" (Automatic, Stopped), or "System Event Notification" (Automatic, Started). Would you be able to point me in the direction of this thread you saw; maybe it would help?

Thanks for your time and help in this. I know I need to be tossing this old box in the next 8 months (it's not Win7 compatible), but it irks me that I can't straighten out this little annoyance before then.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Often logon slowdowns are because a network resource is not available. Windows Explorer may try to reconnect with shared drives. Other shared resources could be the culprit too. As could something trying to "phone home" for updates.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    That "shared drive" idea may have some merit -- I do have a drive that is linked to my company's intranet over VPN (which doesn't get established until _after_ I log in. I'll try killing that connection, to see if it speeds things up.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, thank you, JoeP517, eliminating the shared drive from my computer sped up the boot process significantly, as well as corrected a different error that I thought was unrelated, which is that whenever this computer booted up or powered down, it hooped my Modem/Router for a while. This is no longer happening also.