New Lounger
    Thanks

Printer triggers problems with Symantec Endpoint Protection

My Brother HL-2280DW laser printer keeps triggering a Port Scan alarm in Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP), which is the antivirus software my employer provides for home use. Whenever SEP detects the alleged port scan, it disables the printer port for 600 seconds. I went into the SEP settings and attempted to turn off the port scan on the port the printer uses. I was unable to find a way to do that. In the process, however, I caused SEP to start issuing this alert almost continuously: "Traffic has been blocked from this application: (svchost.exe)." I've run a full antivirus scan and know my system is not infected. The only change has been my attempt to stop blocking the printer port. I am no longer getting the port scan warnings, so maybe I did succeed in turning that function off. But if I did, I don't know how I did it, and the traffic alert is just as annoying.

I Googled the alert message "Traffic has been blocked from this application: (svchost.exe)" and found a suggestion on the Norton site that disabling IPHelper and IPv6 would solve the problem. I disabled both but continue to get the alerts after a power off shutdown and reboot. I am almost at the point of removing SEP and installing a different antivirus product.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1. The SEP is Version 12.1.1000.157 RU1. This is not the latest version of SEP, but it is the latest version my employer provides for home use.

I hope someone can offer some additional suggestions. This almost constant alerting is a nuisance. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jeff, You might try two things before switching to a different product...
    1. Contact your employer's IT department and ask them for advice.
    2. Uninstall SEP, clean out left-over registry settings and files, reinstall SEP with the printer active so the installer can see it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to riffraff For This Useful Post:

Jeff.T.Hamilton (2013-08-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, riffraff. SEP is provided free with no support from either Symantec or my IT dept. I can't even download the most recent incrementally updated version from Symantec's support site. I can, however, uninstall and reinstall the version I have. I hadn't considered that as an interim step. Your assumption that SEP was installed before I got the new printer is correct.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I implemented riffraff's suggestion this morning, without much hope that uninstalling and reinstalling SEP would solve the problem, but it did. Apparently a clean reinstall reset whatever parameter that I had inadvertently changed. Before I reinstalled, I made sure the printer was on-line. So far the printer is not triggering any port scan alarms. Thanks to riffraff's suggestion, I think both problems are solved.