1. Star Lounger
    Thanks

Post Windows Defender Turning On problem

Can anybody suggest how to open Windows Defender once it has been turned off? I keep getting this every time I try:
    defender.JPG
    I have tried in control panel, from settings and searching in Windows 8; all to no avail, the only response I get is the above pop up window.
    Any help wold be greatly appreciated as I have been having trouble with some "hijack" viruses of late.
    Bob

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Change to a real AV program. I dumped Defender because it shut itself off several times. It also frequently does poorly comparison tests to other AV software.
    Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-10)

5. Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It doesn't work if you go to Control Panel, Action Center, Spyware and unwanted software protection (Important), Windows Defender is turned off, Turn on now?

Can you search for Windows Defender on the Start screen, start the program, then use the Settings tab to Turn on real-time protection?

Bruce

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-10)

Thanks
    If it still does not turn itself on after following the steps outlined by BruceR, something might be corrupt. If so perhaps running sfc /scannow will find and fix any corrupt system files.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-10)

Thanks
    Do you have a System Restore point where Defender was working you could use?

Jerry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-10)

11. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried restoring from a restore point but the restore process fails saying it could not find a file (perhaps this is due to the malware currently trying to get rid of also).
    Will try running sfc/scannow
    TX to all
    Bob

12. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Look a at MS they have a vervion of Defender that you burn to disk and boot from that. Also try downloading MBAM http://www.malwarebytes.org/ Defender is not the greatest AV it was decertified earlier this year by AV-Test.org.
    Joe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe S For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-10)

Thanks
    Try running SFC /SCANNOW from an elevated command prompt as Ted (Medico) suggested.

Jerry

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-10)

Thanks
    Also, running Malwarebytes as suggested above is a good idea. Many of the new viruses will disable most AV programs including Defender. Go to Safe Mode with Networking, dowload it and run a full scan after updating signatures.

Jerry

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-10)

18. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Still getting the original message. I am running AVG Free 2013 and I also use Reimage. I don't won't to disable AVG in particular, as I have found it to be good at solving any problems. I wonder if that is why Defender won't "activate" on my PC? If so, I will forget it.
    Bob

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by casso View Post
    Still getting the original message. I am running AVG Free 2013 and I also use Reimage. I don't won't to disable AVG in particular, as I have found it to be good at solving any problems. I wonder if that is why Defender won't "activate" on my PC? If so, I will forget it.
    Bob
    This is pretty much the default behavior; installing a second AV usually disables Windows Defender.

My personal preference is Windows Defender, but we all have our reasons for doing what we do.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-11)

Thanks
    As bbearren suggests, running 2 different AV apps can present problems. In order to do so, both have to have the other exempted, which can present it's own problems. Better just not to do so. WD is automatically disabled when another AV app is installed. Since you have AVG 2013 (I also use this AV app on our PCs) do not worry about WD being disabled, it should be!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

casso (2013-08-11)

23. Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay I will rely upon AVG 2013, which did do its job for me in picking the infected files. I am also using Reimage which I run manualy each week. I think I will leave it at that.
    Once again thanks to all who posted for me. Happy computing!
    Bob