New Lounger
    Thanks

How to remove a partial install ?

Hi all,
    I bought a new laptop which came with Windows 8 pre-installed. The standard version - not the PRO and therefore not downgradable :-(
    I bought a Windows 7 CD and tried to install it, but the installation failed. Frozen screen - don't ask me the details: I am useless.
    Now when I power up the laptop, just after the boot begins, I get a screen asking me to chose between "Setup" and Windows 8, with "Setup" being highlighted and which launches automatically if I don't manually change to Windows 8, which systematically leads to the frozen screen and I have to power off manually.
    If I choose Windows 8, then it finishes the boot and launches normally.
    Since, I have discovered Start8 and it works for me, so I am happy to keep Windows 8, but I'd like to get rid of the partial Windows 7 installation and the boot problem it causes. Anyone knows how to do this?
    Thanks a lot.

Thanks
    You should have a system recovery partition on your laptop that will allow you to return the machine to its factory fresh state. It will wipe all of your installed programs/utilities, requiring a re-install, but it will also remove any traces of the botched Windows 7 install, as it will format the disk in the process of recovery.

Your laptop will do a final reboot, and be in the Out Of the Box condition with Windows 8 all fresh and new.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2013-08-09 at 07:02.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    The procedure for returning to a factory installed state varies by manufacturer. Read your owner's manual for yours. As well as wiping out all your programs, it will wipe your data as well so back that up before restoring.

Jerry

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From Sandun's description of problem I surmise that when system boots it provides a choice similar to what one would see in a dual boot scenario. What about trying EasyBCD to eliminate the "Set-up" option?

Rich

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmonroe36 View Post
    From Sandun's description of problem I surmise that when system boots it provides a choice similar to what one would see in a dual boot scenario. What about trying EasyBCD to eliminate the "Set-up" option?

Rich
    I would say that seems a sensible option, probably coupled with a cleanmgr run to try to get rid of the stuff that may have been left over by the failed install.
    Rui
    -------
    R4