Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How can I recover my lost BIOS boot options?

I am in terrible need of help to resolve this continuing saga, and I upfront appreciate your suggestions.

Here is how I got into this mess. I purchased a new (refurb) ASUS x55c laptop with Windows 8 64.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834231064

Silly me thought to replace my hard drive with an SSD. So, I created both a USB recovery drive and disc using W8's tools. Neither tool helped me to transfer my image to the new drive. Subsequently, I got slapped with a 0xc0000225 error. Moreover, I lost my boot options, except for Windows Boot Manager for a while (and after a few tries of things, a reference ot a DVD... yet the disc I put in will not be read).

I've tried several things, including restoring BIOS defaults, disabling/enabling secure boot, etc., and nothing. Ooops, I should add that I also have the original drive back in place. Ideas, please??? I wonder what might I expect if I were to remove the cmos battery and then reinsert? Thank you, thank you, thank you for your help.

Thanks
    Are you able to boot from the DVD/CD ROM or USB drive?
    What is the program you are using to restore your image from?

Go back into BIOS and check the boot settings. Leave secure/rapid boot disabled.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for responding CLiNT. Yes, I have tried both the ROM drive and USB, separately and together. And secure boot is disabled. Like I said, I'm left with Windows Boot Manager, but I also got back the ROM (seems there were once two possible ROM entries, one for regular, and one for EFI). I observe both hard drive and ROM are alive, as I see my hard drive light come on and flicker at bootup.

This is a continuation from this thread, particularly page 5, where I write in bold "Big trouble in little China" :
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-into-username

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update-- Well, I know that my DVD ROM works and can read, because I slipped in an installation disc, and it could read it fine. Of course, I stopped it short of installation. And so back at square one. It just won't read the original hard drive and I don't have any other boot options in BIOS, save for Windows Boot Manager and the DVD

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Have you tried to boot from your system recovery disk and let it repair the boot process?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Have you tried to boot from your system recovery disk and let it repair the boot process?
    Yes, Rui, several times. No luck.

Administrator
    Thanks
    But what happened, precisely? Was the disk recognized? Did the recovery attempt fail?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But what happened, precisely? Was the disk recognized? Did the recovery attempt fail?
    No, that repair disk was not recognized, neither with the SSD, nor the current hard drive. When I press the key to access the media, I do loop back to the insert proper media screen, over and over again. And that was the disk I created with W8's own recovery tools.

Administrator
    Thanks
    As you can read other disks, I am thinking that disk has some issues. Did you test it before replacing the hard disk?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As you can read other disks, I am thinking that disk has some issues. Did you test it before replacing the hard disk?
    Yes, Rui. First, after Windows finished writing it, Windows then asserted the write was a success. But even when I inserted the SSD, I got no response. Moreover, I explored the disk, and all the files are there... all 277 MB or whatever.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe you could try downloading this Windows 8 recovery disc ISO, and see if that will boot up the system for attempted repair.
    I haven't vetted the website or the file (beyond size) but it looked ok, as always, ignore the big flashy download icons in favor of the more sublime flat one to the right, which is the real download icon.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard3 View Post
    Yes, Rui. First, after Windows finished writing it, Windows then asserted the write was a success. But even when I inserted the SSD, I got no response. Moreover, I explored the disk, and all the files are there... all 277 MB or whatever.
    But were you able to boot the computer with it? Have you tried to use it to boot a different computer?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Maybe you could try downloading this Windows 8 recovery disc ISO, and see if that will boot up the system for attempted repair.
    I haven't vetted the website or the file (beyond size) but it looked ok, as always, ignore the big flashy download icons in favor of the more sublime flat one to the right, which is the real download icon.
    You never cease to amaze me all the neat little downloadable things you find, F.U.N. Thank you so much for taking the time to do that. Alas, that was a no go as well. It feels like Windows just kind of "locked" me out of my computer.

Anyway, I figure if the greatest minds on this forum can't figure this puzzle out, I am in serious trouble, and so packed it up and turned it in.-- as Windows prescribed anyway.

Rui--Whether with or without the disk, I could only boot to the blue Recovery screen that identified the above mentioned error, and how my computer was in need of repair.

Moreover, I admit uncertainty that even if I got the system repaired if I would get my boot order options back or USB port functionally readable as well. Thank you for your suggestions.

On a side note, I was so tempted to even try Spotmau, which promises the moon and more, but I saw nothing to suggest that it is Windows 8 ready yet. Anyone ever try this?
    http://www.spotmau.com/products/pack...Fcd_QgodmEQAUQ
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2013-08-10 at 16:58.

Administrator
    Thanks
    What I am thinking is that your boot disc didn't work, for some reason. Maybe a working boot disc would solve your problem, but for that you would need to create one that worked. I'm afraid you should have tested it immediately after creation, to confirm it worked.

You are writing from another computer. Can you create a system restore disk from that one and just see if it boots? Don't let it change anything on your windows 8 computer, just check whether it boots the problem computer. If it does, I would say my first step would be to create a Windows 8 system recovery disc, one that actually worked.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    What I am thinking is that your boot disc didn't work, for some reason. Maybe a working boot disc would solve your problem, but for that you would need to create one that worked.
    That was my line of thinking after post #4 where it seemed an install disc works fine (for booting), that maybe a independent Win 8 repair disc might boot and work. I am assuming it was created from the same process one would have followed from within Windows 8. I have a few other ideas (maybe a bit radical but still logical) but ultimately they still depend on being able to boot with a Win 8 repair disc or Win 8 install disc to fix the hard disk boot issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast