Thread: Memory leak

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Memory leak

Having 16 G of RAM, low memory warnings were a thing in the past for me - until yesterday when I ran out! What did I do? For some reason that I don't remember, I decided to try Advanced Uninstaller Pro recommended by CNET. It found all sorts of junk and I foolishly decided to delete it. Only part was deleted because what I installed was a trial. CNET lists it as free and I saw no link to purchase a license in what I read beforehand. Not only that, it tried to install Samsoft toolbar and would not take NO for an answer. Half hour later, I had cleaned up the things that I saw but that was the start of my memory problem.

I am running Sysinternals RamMap, refreshing every half hour or so, and watching the Mapped file total go up and Unused go down. Last time I got the "low memory" warning, I scrolled through the file summary and saw memory assigned (I guess) to image files I haven't looked at in years.

Something else, I use GFI backup that used to launch when I boot in the morning. Now, I can't even launch it manually.

I'm running W7 pro 64 on an Intel mobo
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Do you have an up to date image? If not, do you have a restore point you can use to restore your system to a working condition?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The main memory leak is in my head. I thought about restore walking out the door.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Thanks
    Hopefully System Restore will work. This is a prime example where an Up To Date Image from just before this problem app was installed would have been ideal to restore to a working order in short order.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Alas, I restored to the image created by Advanced Uninstaller but the memory continues to accumulate in the Mapped File category. This morning I moved a bunch of symphonic music (large files) from one drive to another as part of a general clean-up. After re-booting,1.6 G of RAM was mapped and 12 G unused. I left for a concert and returned 3 hours later to find 9.3 G mapped and only 4 G unused on this idle computer. The file summary page of MemMap lists those symphonies as having the largest "total" and "standby" values, many over 200 M. Those files were moved before the re-boot.

I don't understand any of this. Unfortunately, I never worried about memory before. I always had too much and only started looking at it when I had problems.

As an added note, I replaced a failing video card with a Geforce 640 last week before this started.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    I am sorry to say it, but these things happen when you use tools that use concepts that are not easy to grasp. If you want to know what memory is in actual use, I suggest that you use Resource Manager. It presents the information in a much easier to understand way. About mapped files, if you want, you can read more about them here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms810613.aspx

To learn a bit more on the meaning of each term used by RamMap, see http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/a...ol-rammap.aspx

I bet that if you check the File Summary tab, you will find that only a tiny fraction of the mapped files memory is actually active. That's really what matters, OS wise.

I will quote from the article, on the definition of standy memory : Pages of physical ram not actively being used. These are still left in physical ram but will be repurposed first by the memory manager (either returned to the active list or zeroed out and reused) if something needs physical ram for active pages. Standby pages are essentially cache – it’s better to have infrequently used data kept in RAM “just in case” than pushing it out to disk when the memory isn’t needed for anything else..

If you plan to use a tool, better learn what it tells you. RAMMap is an advanced memory tool, I don't see why you'd need it unless you have serious memory issues. Resource Manager provides a much easier to use info, that everyone can understand, including In Use, Stand By, Free, Available and Cached. If you compare both, probably you will see that most of the Mapped Files size will match the cached amount. RAM management is a complex issue and not many people know much about it (and I am most certainly included in this lot).

So, I would risk saying, as a conclusion, that your memory issues most certainly are not real, but result from you not interpreting the information provided by RAMMap correctly.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much, you are, of course, right. I am a geologist who knows just enough about computers to be dangerous. I found MemMap when I went through the sysinternals suite. Three days ago, I got low memory warnings twice for reasons I don't understand. I will just let this go as long as the OS does not warn me again.

I am much better off on the rocks. I appreciate your help.
    Dan Lynch
    The stonecherub

Administrator
    Thanks
    Dan,

I use Resource Manager every single day on Windows 7 and the new Task Manager on Windows 8. Both provide reasonably good info on how much RAM is actually being used and which programs are using it. If you get more low memory warnings (which, with 16 GB RAM, I agree, can be a bit weird), open Resource Manager and check the memory tab. You can even sort processed by memory usage, so you will rapidly know what is using your memory and, if needed, you can ask for specific help on those apps that are using the most RAM.
    Rui
    -------
    R4