3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Curious article about how much RAM one needs for what

I observe that there's always that ongoing question about how much RAM one needs. Well, here is one reporter's opinion on the matter (from ZD Net).

http://www.zdnet.com/how-much-ram-do...on-7000011139/

Thanks
    I'm not sure why you categorised this article as "curious"? It seems fairly well-argued, on the presumption that you're using Windows 8 (or perhaps 7).
    You could summarise it as "2 GB is enough for most simple uses, otherwise get 4 GB. More than that is useful only for memory-hungry applications."
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I'm not sure why you categorised this article as "curious"? It seems fairly well-argued, on the presumption that you're using Windows 8 (or perhaps 7).
    You could summarise it as "2 GB is enough for most simple uses, otherwise get 4 GB. More than that is useful only for memory-hungry applications."
    BATcher, "Curious" as in "interesting."-- I wanted to present the article in objective a manner as possible, because I know how folks luv to argue, and I'd rather they argue with the article rather than with me, casting my ignorance in my face. I am reminded of that other timeless question, "How big a power supply do I need?"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Ya, those are some fairly decent break points and use descriptions. It's missing real-world usage habits to help round out the picture. Ed Bott says the vast majority of users don't multitask anyway, but maybe they need the extra for fudge factor buffer as the result of inattentive computing. Other technologies creep in on the need for a little extra RAM for a few moments as well, such as a very fast pagefile on an SSD, and I can bury the needle on any processor with just one program if I let it have all the threads.
    Also, serious gamers a nuts. They ask questions of Maximum PC like should I get one 690 ($1000) or two 680s ($1000) to replace my two 670s ($800)? Meanwhile I've been perfectly happy with my $137 ATI 7700 up until now, and for some time to come.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by F.U.N. downtown View Post
    Ya, those are some fairly decent break points and use descriptions. It's missing real-world usage habits to help round out the picture. Ed Bott says the vast majority of users don't multitask anyway, but maybe they need the extra for fudge factor buffer as the result of inattentive computing. Other technologies creep in on the need for a little extra RAM for a few moments as well, such as a very fast pagefile on an SSD, and I can bury the needle on any processor with just one program if I let it have all the threads.
    Also, serious gamers a nuts. They ask questions of Maximum PC like should I get one 690 ($1000) or two 680s ($1000) to replace my two 670s ($800)? Meanwhile I've been perfectly happy with my $137 ATI 7700 up until now, and for some time to come.
    Phew! What a high price to pay for short term bragging rights. Those be some high-stakes players. I was glad he made mention of virtual machine users' needs.

(With that 7700, looks like your ready for 4K video, F.U.N. Years ago, I used to be a real ATI fan, except for their well known driver issues. I guess they've resolved that by now? Oh, and do you run an AMD processor to go with that).
    Last edited by Gerard3; 2013-08-11 at 23:38.

Thanks
    All of my Windows 7 systems but one have 8GB and I wish that one did, too. You don't have to be a gamer to benefit from it. Writers like to categorize things like "gaming" because that makes it easy to write about, not because it is relevant or useful. My systems are used for business and two are for both business and personal combined. Memory is one of the most basic components of a computer. Remember: CPU, Memory, I/O. One of the best and most useful hardware upgrades is always to add more memory. So why not just add enough up front? If you cheese it up front they usually fill your slots with small capacity units which you will just throw away when you inevitably upgrade. So the total cost of those plus the new ones will likely be more than just buying them up front and you save a lot of hassle and frustration.
    Last edited by Backspacer; 2013-10-26 at 23:34.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard3 View Post
    Phew! What a high price to pay for short term bragging rights.
    Yeah, like the guys who build super off-road trucks just in case it might snow once or twice a year and they might "need" to go some where. Or the people (like me) who own really good professional grade cameras, but use them mostly just for snapshots. Or the ones with gigantic, show-piece kitchens with commercial grade appliances who work so hard to pay for it that they only have time to nuke some prepackaged crap for dinner and make one fancy meal per year. I could go on. We're human and we're like that.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Backspacer View Post
    Yeah, like the guys who build super off-road trucks just in case it might snow once or twice a year and they might "need" to go some where. Or the people (like me) who own really good professional grade cameras, but use them mostly just for snapshots. Or the ones with gigantic, show-piece kitchens with commercial grade appliances who work so hard to pay for it that they only have time to nuke some prepackaged crap for dinner and make one fancy meal per year. I could go on. We're human and we're like that.
    Oh, I do like the way you put that! And roger that on the extra RAM from the getgo.