New Lounger
    Thanks

Rich text control (Access 2000)

Does anyone know where I can find a comprehensive list of the properties and methods of the Microsoft rich text control? Ideally I would even like some guidance on how to program it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Rich text control (Access 2000)

The Microsoft Rich Text ActiveX Control is normally distributed with the Visual Studio product. We've found it to be on the buggy side, and prefer to use the FMS Rich Text Control, but you should be able to find information in the Visual Studio documentation. Also try searching the Knowledge Base under Visual Studio. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this Wendell. Interestingly I'm thinking of using it because I'm having problems with the FMS product and can't seem to trace the cause. My client is running Access 2000 under NT4 and is getting frequent and unexplainable crashes when entering data into the database using the FMS TAM control. Given that this usually means that she loses her data then she is understandably more than a little concerned! Do you have any suggestions for lines of enquiry to pursue to help diagnose the problem? I'm told by her IT people that everything about the environment is standard and they can't seem to offer any plausible explanations as to why the problem might be occurring. They've tried it on at least two different PCs and still get the same problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There are several possibilities I would look at before trying a different control.
    Is she running at least SR1 of Office - SP2 fixes some additional problems, but has the nasty Outlook fix which makes it very hard to send emails with attached files from Office apps?
    Is the Name Auto-correct feature turned off - it's been indicted in all sorts of problems?
    Has the database been decompiled and then compiled, compacted and repaired?
    Is the NT4 workstation running SP6?
    Is the database running across a network - if so, try putting it on the local hard drive for a while?

By definition, Rich Text controls use a memo-style field, and many folks think they lead to more corruption and crashes than any other single aspect of Access/Jet4. On the other hand, we don't have any significant problems using the similar text datatype field in SQL Server - that's an alternative you might try if the data is really critical. Hope this helps with your debugging.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to what Wendell has suggested, check to see what SP their NT has applied. There are some odd behaviors that show up in Access with NT SP4 and earlier that are cured by SP 5 or 6.
    Charlotte