New Lounger
    Thanks

Need steps to install Epson Workforce from Epson site vs CD please

My daughter has a Win7 64bit Sony S Series laptop with our home Epson R380 installed on it. She is leaving for college in a few days and she has an Epson WF 3520 waiting for her at the Staples (across the country) near her college. I have read many reviews that the CD with the 3520 is not reliable and that installing from the Epson site is the best way for a smooth install. Only thing is, my daughter and I will install together when we get the printer and neither of us are tech proficient. Could you possibly list the steps to install the 3520 from the Epson website for us? My daughter's college does not allow wireless printing and there is no landline in the dorm to fax. So, if there is a way not to install wireless drivers and fax utility since they are not needed, I am guessing that is the better route. I can't tell if I need to install the entire "combo package" or, if I can pick and choose, if I should save each driver/utility on her desktop to retrieve assuming I am prompted to do so during setup. Next summer when she brings the printer home, she will probably want to use wireless (for her iPad) and maybe even the fax. I read a review that it is not be possible to choose USB connect when installing the WF3520 and then go back and say I want to use it wireless and I am wondering if that is correct. Also, can you confirm she can keep both Epson printers on her laptop without problems since at Christmas and breaks, our home Epson R380 is all she will have to print to? Should I un-check Epson Status Monitor 3 that is currently in Start-up in system configuration since that is the R380 or just un-check the R380 as the default printer while she is at college only using the WF3520, or do both? Thank you for any help you can give me and my daughter.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Also, can you confirm she can keep both Epson printers on her laptop without problems
    This should not be a problem.
    Should I un-check Epson Status Monitor 3 that is currently in Start-up in system configuration since that is the R380 or just un-check the R380 as the default printer while she is at college only using the WF3520, or do both?
    Opinions may vary, but I am of the opinion that a printer does not need any of it's components in the operating system's startup
    routine. The only start up component needed will be the OS's print spooler service, which in most cases will already be active.
    The Printer that is to be used currently should always be made the "default".
    You can toggle between the "default printer" as needed.

Is this the printer: Epson WorkForce WF-3520 All-in-One Printer

Go to the website of the new printer you have chosen and read through all of the applicable installation and user manuals.
    Nothing beats knowing what you are getting yourself into by looking into it beforehand.

You can also start downloading all of the needed drivers and utilities, but do not install them
    until you have the printer & it's installation instructions.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2013-08-12 at 11:03.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Clint.
    Yes it is the Epson Workforce 3520 All In One.
    I downloaded, printed, and read all available material. In the hundreds of printed pages, there is no mention of how to install the printer from the Epson website, just from the CD.
    The website has 4 downloads under drivers, 5 downloads under utilities, and a combo option which I guess has everything.
    If my daughter does not want fax or wireless until next summer, should I still download everything?
    If everything, then I guess I install the combo package?
    If not, what specific drivers and utilities do I download?
    And how do I start the installation process?
    The only driver or utility description with the word "install" is for Epson Connect which I know my daughter does not need (unless she later wants to print from her iPad).
    And is her desktop the best place to put all those drivers and utilities until we have the printer and start the install process?
    Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate any and all help from this forum.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Unless there is some specific component you've read about that should not be installed (which might warrant looking for a different printer anyway) I would just get the combo set of drivers. Methods for downloading vary slightly depending on browser; I use Chrome so when I click on a download it will automatically download to my user name>Downloads folder, but that can be changed to any place on the computer. You may be prompted for a save location before the download starts and then you can choose to save the file to your desktop...anywhere that you can find it after it's done downloading so you can [double] click on it and start the installation process.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to F.U.N. downtown For This Useful Post:

-j(39) -t(20) (2013-08-13)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by -j(39) -t(20) View Post
    My daughter has a Win7 64bit Sony S Series laptop with our home Epson R380 installed on it. She is leaving for college in a few days and she has an Epson WF 3520 waiting for her at the Staples (across the country) near her college. I have read many reviews that the CD with the 3520 is not reliable and that installing from the Epson site is the best way for a smooth install.
    "j"

Hello... I have and use an Epson WF 3540 and have installed this on a laptop and desktops , some having Windows 7 \ 64 Pro ( no SP's or updates) some Vista and some XP Pro SP-3 ...No issues with the CD ..Just follow the prompts ..There are some things that you might "pass on" EX: The FAX bit , buy Epson Ink, customer participation , etc. I have tried the software update from Epson ... just want's to add more useless stuff. Stick with the CD and switch off the internet during the initial install My Install gave me a choice on how to connect from the CD , USB , wireless, etc.... The "Wifi" bit, if you decide to use it at later time, you can configure from the printer screen ...follow prompts.. Not the exact model but should be a similar install ... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-08-12 at 14:32.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred: Thank you. There were many reviews that the install CD was a problem but that installing from the Epson site worked with the Epson WF3520. So, I wanted to try not to use the CD. Either way, I think your advice to "switch off the internet during the initial install" applies. But, I thought you had to have the internet on for the installation of the printer so can you please confirm your advice? Also, reviews stated there were many background processes hogging computer resources even when not using the printer; in fact, users said there were 5 items placed in start-up after installing the printer. I was hoping to avoid installing some of these by not installing the fax and wireless components which I know she does not need at school. But if the CD installation will let me decline the fax & wireless "features" she does not want, then maybe I should chance using the CD?

Clint: Thank You. We would use Firefox to download the Epson WF3520 drivers and utilities. There were many reviews that the wireless set up caused problems and since my daughter's college does not allow wireless printers in dorm rooms, I thought it best just to avoid downloading anything to do with wireless printing until she is home next summer and not needing the printer for her school work. Should I still download the Combo and maybe during installation when I choose "USB" vs. wired or wireless network, the unnecessary components of the Combo download won't install? And, I am still unsure what I click to get this install going. And should I follow the CD set-up guide (even if I don't use the CD) and not connect the printer to the computer until prompted?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=-j(39) -t(20);917275] There were many reviews that the install CD was a problem but that installing from the Epson site worked with the Epson WF3520. So, I wanted to try not to use the CD. Either way, I think your advice to "switch off the internet during the initial install" applies. But, I thought you had to have the internet on for the installation of the printer so can you please confirm your advice? Also, reviews stated there were many background processes hogging computer resources even when not using the printer;[QUOTE]

"j",

Hello... Switching off the internet for the install .. will not let Epson download their latest and greatest version, and to "Register" with them... Which i would be willing to wager that you don't \ won't need..unless there is some problem with your particular software \ PC "combo"... I have done this several times without the internet connected ...The only time that you need it on is if you are trying to set up a "WiFi" so it can connect with your printer\ router..(tried this just yesterday...) The CD will give you a choice of how to connect to the printer .. also if your quick enough you can "catch" the "Fax" install and hit cancel...if you want. If things don't install the way you want you can just uninstall everything Epson, and try again , done this also many times ...just give it a shot Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Clint: Thank You. We would use Firefox to download the Epson WF3520 drivers and utilities. There were many reviews that the wireless set up caused problems and since my daughter's college does not allow wireless printers in dorm rooms, I thought it best just to avoid downloading anything to do with wireless printing until she is home next summer and not needing the printer for her school work. Should I still download the Combo and maybe during installation when I choose "USB" vs. wired or wireless network, the unnecessary components of the Combo download won't install? And, I am still unsure what I click to get this install going. And should I follow the CD set-up guide (even if I don't use the CD) and not connect the printer to the computer until prompted?
    I'm leaning towards defaulting to Fred on his installation advice, since he already has a very similar device & the experience installing it.
    BUT,...
    Yes, if the use of wifi is banned by the university, then one will have to choose the wired connection, usually USB based.
    Don't install any of the printer's drivers, or software, until you're both ready to install the printer itself.
    I would STILL download the latest drivers and utilities and put them away on a DVD.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both Clint and Fred. My daughter has 2 laptops to put this printer on. A Dell Latitude E6430s (with Symantec Endpoint Protection that another Lounge poster had printer install problems with) which is a 3 year loaner from the university, and her personal Sony. I am thinking I will use Fred's method on the Sony and use the following method I just got from Epson for my daughter's Dell. (I was surprised they answered since I did not have a serial # yet for the printer) . Epson said download only the Printer and Scanner driver/utility (not remote printer driver or combo) and DON'T download ANY of the utilities: Epson Connect, Software updater, Event manager, or Fax utility. Epson also said I would have to uninstall the printer and all drivers/utilities and then reinstall from scratch in order to later add wireless capabilities. My only question at this point regarding Epson's method is which driver (printer, or, scanner driver/utility) do I double click first to get the install started?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Epson also said I would have to uninstall the printer and all drivers/utilities and then reinstall from scratch in order to later add wireless capabilities. My only question at this point regarding Epson's method is which driver (printer, or, scanner driver/utility) do I double click first to get the install started?
    "j",

Hello.... You would uninstall The printer through the Windows "Uninstall a program" ( if you don't have any 3rd party "Cleaners" Example CCleaner Free) and to reinstall using the "Epson Disk .exe" or the ".exe" from the software download. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2013-08-13 at 17:51.
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Fred. I printed those screen shots which will be extremely helpful.
    And when I use Epson's method (download only the 'Printer' and 'Scanner driver/utility') on the University loaner Dell and put those 2 downloads on my desktop, do I double click the 'Printer' Driver first? Will I then be prompted when to go back and double click the 'Scanner driver/utility'?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    And when I use Epson's method (download only the 'Printer' and 'Scanner driver/utility') on the University loaner Dell and put those 2 downloads on my desktop, do I double click the 'Printer' Driver first? Will I then be prompted when to go back and double click the 'Scanner driver/utility'?

"j"

Hello... Can't say... as i have not tried that particular method ... Just the CD, and the full installer download... then choosing what i want to install as prompted from either method... If i had to take a "WAG" i would say the printer driver first, and then the Scanner... Let us know how it works out for you ... as this thread could be of help to others as well ... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry I took so long to post how that printer install went. Well, you all are fantastic! I simply downloaded two things under drivers at the Epson support site for the printer: "Printer Driver" and "Scanner Driver and Epson Scan Utility". I then double clicked and installed the first, and then the second. The only minor trouble is that my daughter has to initiate scans from Windows vs. the printer's front control panel, which she is fine with. Mission accomplished! Nothing annoying running in the background hogging resources, and no wi-fi features which are prohibited in her dorm. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry I took so long to post how that printer install went. Well, you all are fantastic! I simply downloaded two things under drivers at the Epson support site for the printer: "Printer Driver" and "Scanner Driver and Epson Scan Utility".

"j"

Hello... Thanks for posting back with your results ...glad to have been some help ....Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    If installing a Workforce printer in Windows 8, the drivers are already in the Driver Pack in W8.
    Just turn the printer on, and install W8 and the printer will be seen and the drivers will be installed.

Cheers!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!