New Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard loses power during Boot Sequence

During boot sequence the keyboard loses power for about 1 min 40 seconds. The sequence starts normally and the keyboard has power. About the time the sequence reaches "Starting Windows" the keyboard loses power. The boot sequence continues until it reaches the screen to enter my password. I cannot enter the password because the keyboard has no power. After about 1 min 45 secs from when the keyboard lost power, I see some action on my external HD's and the keyboard has power again. I have just installed a new WD 4TB HD with USB 2/3 capability but my PC only has USB 2 ports. I have disconnected the new HD but still get a delay of 25 secs without power to the keyboard.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks, Sam

Thanks
    I wonder if the PS is having some difficulties maintaining the proper voltages. How old is the PC? This could be a H/W failure. I am not sure if one of the many voltages monitoring apps would catch anything during the boot process. Perhaps someone has some ideas for monitoring this during boot.

After you do finally get loaded, do you notice anything unusual happening during times when you are loading devices more? perhaps multitasking to try to stress the PS to see what happens.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    You may have a problem with USB. Check in Device Manager if any of your USB listings have a yellow marker (indicates that there is a problem). If so, uninstall them, and then right click on the top-most item and choose Scan for Hardware Changes.

As an alternative, do you have PS/2 ports and a PS/2 keyboard available? If you do, PS/2 ALWAYS works. I was able to connect a PS/2 mouse and keyboard to my computer and fix a USB problem; without PS/2, I would not have had a mouse and keyboard, and I probably would not have been able to fix the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I added two more USB external devices to my computer. The interval the keyboard had no power did not change for better or worse. After I was able to log in with the keyboard the computer was working fine along with the two devices I had added. The keyboard power returns immediately after I see some action on my two WD external HD's, the lights flash and it appears as if the drives are responding to a request.
    Sam

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneman View Post
    I added two more USB external devices to my computer. The interval the keyboard had no power did not change for better or worse. After I was able to log in with the keyboard the computer was working fine along with the two devices I had added. The keyboard power returns immediately after I see some action on my two WD external HD's, the lights flash and it appears as if the drives are responding to a request.
    Sam
    You may have some hardware device that is bad, or going bad, which is trying to load at that time, but which is struggling to do so. You might try removing one part at a time and rebooting, to see if the problem goes away. For example, if you have sufficient memory, you could remove some of it, and start the computer, to see if the problem persists. If so, then put it back in and remove other memory. Then try swapping video cards.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2013-08-14 at 10:56.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Notes regarding problems with the addition of my WD Elements 4TB hard drive.

The first problem that I noticed that it took the computer much longer to boot fully into the Windows log on screen, sometimes between 2 and 3 minutes. I also noticed that the green power light on the keyboard, after a few seconds went out just as the Windows logo appeared on the screen. The computer booted to the log on screen and I could not use the keyboard for input during the time the light was out.

I then unplugged the new HD from its USB port and the boot sequence seemed normal. The light went out on the keyboard only briefly. I had not noticed previously if the light had gone out. The keyboard was useable when the logon screen came up.

I tried various USB ports on the front and rear of the computer and the result was still slow. I then tried the USB ports on my Dell monitor and the computer then booted normally. No explanation why the USB ports on the computer slowed the boot process down. The monitor has its own AC power supply. Don't know if this is a factor or not.
    Sam

Thanks
    That seems to explain things. Quite often when booting to Windows if an ext. HD is plugged in, the system also checks that HD for an OS as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy